Most cost effective Extract Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I'm an all-grain brewer that just had an injury that isn't going to allow me to brew all-grain (because of lifting restrictions) and I haven't brewed an extract batch in a couple of years.

Damn, malt extract is expensive!! It's going to cost me 3 times what it does to brew an all grain batch, but I must brew:)

I'm wondering if people would post their favorite low cost extract recipes here for me?? I would really appreciate it. thanks:mug:

Here is a simple but very tasty German Hefe recipe that I teach in class.

5.5 gal. into fermenter
Attn: 77%
ABV : 5.5%
SRM: 10
IBU : 33
O.G. 1.052
F.G. 1.012

6lbs. Wheat/Barley malt (60/40)
Boil in 6.5 gal. H2O for 60 min. with Saaz hops
Chill to 65f. and pitch WLP300 HefeIV starter

Ferment at 65f-70f until complete and bottle or keg

mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

lower gravity beers will be less expensive. English Mild, 60 schilling, brown ale, etc...

But that is the only way to reduce the price of extract VS AG. The hops, specialty grains and yeast are the same cost regardless of AG or extract.

Some other tips

Buy fresh extract! More beer, Northern Brewer, AHS all have fresh extract. I believe the morebeer LME is the best price.

Don't use the darker extracts. only use the light extracts. use steeping grains to add the color and flavor.

Buy the proper extract for the style. American beer then use the American ultra light. English beer use English extract. Belgian beer then use pilsner extract. There is a big difference.

Want to save some more money? Buy in bulk.

Also, unless you buy in major bulk, it will be cheapest to buy LME.

I just got 50lbs of Briess Pilsen Light DME from North Country Malt for $120.00 after shipping to NE Ohio. That's $2.40/lb, not too bad IMHO...

Lodovico, you've got it all wrong, this is the perfect time to start on a DIY automated system that requires zero lifting!

Here is a simple but very tasty German Hefe recipe that I teach in class.

5.5 gal. into fermenter
Attn: 77%
ABV : 5.5%
SRM: 10
IBU : 33
O.G. 1.052
F.G. 1.012

6lbs. Wheat/Barley malt (60/40)
Boil in 6.5 gal. H2O for 60 min. with Saaz hops
Chill to 65f. and pitch WLP300 HefeIV starter

Ferment at 65f-70f until complete and bottle or keg

mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

You know what? I haven't done a Hefe in awhile. I'm going to do this one on Saturday. Thanks.

What do you think about using WB-60 instead of the WLP300?

I just got 50lbs of Briess Pilsen Light DME from North Country Malt for $120.00 after shipping to NE Ohio. That's $2.40/lb, not too bad IMHO...

how, and for how long, can you store malt extract? I'm worried that if I buy in bulk it will go back before I can use it, since I only brew once or twice a month.

DME stores better than LME, you have less of a concern with it being fresh. If you keep it in sealed bags, or in a sealed bucket in a cool dry area it will keep just fine.

Even if it didn't keep, it would just be more of a reason to brew more often!!!

Back