Keg Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bopper

Reaction score
Yet another keg sediment question...I promise I searched but couldn't find anything exactly on point :eek:

I kegged a Smuttynose APA clone straight from the primary. It was in primary for 4 weeks. It went in the keg this Monday and on 30 psi on Tuesday. It sat until Thursday when I purged and lowered to serving pressure. When I did this, I also moved the keg in order to change out another keg behind it in in my kegerator.

Whenever I draw a pint I'm getting a lot of hop particles in the glass (I used pellets). I've ever had this problem before. I've always poured a glass and got all the sediment out within the first pint or two. I was hoping to have this ready to serve tomorrow night. Anything I can do other than cutting the dip tube? How long do you think it will take for it all of this to settle out?

Thanks for the help! :mug:

When you release the pressure it allowed the bubbles to come out of suspension in the beer and hence stirred everything up. Same with the move. I think you will be ok, when you get the beer where it is going to be and let it stay a week, then you will star to see cleaner pours.

Cool, thanks! I don't really mind drinking a few pints like this but it's not really something you want to serve to guests. I'm going to crank the temp of the fridge down. Hopefully that will help too.

there are some threads here about bending the diptubes so its not as close to bottom. Im in the process of making my keggerator operational so i havent had this problem yet but im pretty sure before i put the brew in mind im going to bend them slightly so they dont pick up sediment

Honestly, in my system of all Sanke I wouldn't like my last keg to have a cut or bent tube. If you are clean on your transfers before the serving keg then all the sediment is literally poured out in the first two to three pints. There is still sediment down there, just undisturbed so not a problem. If you move that keg... back to cloudy for a little while. I use a long primary and move counter pressure to my serving/aging keg. Moving counter-pressure allows the gas to not want to come out of suspension until it is in the target keg at least, so no bubbling up trub into your transfer.

Back