Adding A Valve and Thermometer to Aluminum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I have this thermometer http://cgi.ebay.com/Taylor-Digital-Oven-Thermometer-Timer-and-Cooking-Probe_W0QQitemZ120223663763QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43421QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that I would like to add to my aluminum 35qt. pot. What do I need to do this? Is it as easy as drilling a hole and using high temp o-rings?

I also want to add a drain to it. Do I need to do weldless, or can I just piece it together from Watts parts at HD? It seems like a $50 valve is kind of silly on a $15 pot :( .

Anyone do this on aluminum before?

If you have the really thin gauge of aluminum I think you'll have a lot of problems getting a good seal (and keeping it). If you have the heavy gauge of the restaurant quality stuff (usually has about 3/16" sidewalls) you can go with weldless kits.

Everything except maybe the high temp o-rings you should be able to find at HD or equivalent. Try a plumbing wholesaler for the high-temp o-rings.

Latest posts

Back