5 months later, and my weizenbock is carbonated...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
Back in August, I made a weizenbock for a local homebrew oktoberfest competition... it was flat when I entered it, and all judges commented on that.

I just happened to find 3 left today in my fridge... opened one up, and it was actually perfectly carbonated.

Makes me think I should start brewing this year's entry soon... hmmm....

I know exactly where you are coming from. Mine only took 3 months to carb up, but that is still considerably longer than the usual 3 weeks.

My weizenbock didn't take too awfully long to carb up, and is probably the best beer I've made to date. What I had been reading was that weizenbocks have a higher carbonation than many other styles. I made a 1/2 batch (2.5gal), and primed with 4.25 oz of corn sugar....was around 4.0 volumes (approx). How much did you prime with? Evidently, it came out great anyway...just took a little longer.

I carbonated this before I started measuring sugar in ounces, i think it was a 3/4 cup carbonation, so standard amount. I guess it just took longer because it was a heavier beer, 7.6%. I also made it during a heat wave in the summer, so I'm not sure if that had any impact on it or not (it certainly affected the taste, I think every judge said it was phenolic and to watch fermentation temps. oops!)

I know exactly where you are coming from. Mine only took 3 months to carb up, but that is still considerably longer than the usual 3 weeks.

Did you add supplementary yeast at bottling? I've got a Weizenbock I'm aging in secondary for 2 months and I'm trying to decide whether I should add a 1/2 pack of neutral, dry yeast at bottling to guarantee it carbonates. If it doesn't need it, I'd rather not add it. But I've had a beer before that didn't carbonate(because I didn't calculate the correct amount of priming sugar), and it was a PITA to open each bottle to add sugar and re-cap.

Thanks,
Andy

Back