Enzymes question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsoda

Reaction score
are the any alternative products you can use to get the enzymes to convert starches or speed up the process?

is beeno an enzyme? or can you get a liquid enzyme? or some sort? what are they?

can i convert corn starch and or other plants and vegitables into sugar by adding a beeno tab or other enzyme based product ? and resting temp?

has anyone tried this?

(im kinda floating away from grain on this one ... no i don't need beeno in my beer)

Beano is alpha galactosidase, it will break-down just about any starch or complex sugar. The mash temperature has to be kept below 40C.

You can also buy alpha amylase concentrate.

my question: why? are you experimenting with other starch sources, or are you having problems reaching normal conversion in the mash?

I know of Beano, and I've seen many say "only when all else has failed and you think you might just have to throw the beer out anyways". it converts so much that hte beer is usually overly thin and dry since the non-fermentable sugars get broken down and fermented.

ya just experimenting , maybe an all un-malted wheat beer with carrots and maybe honey ? might be good IDK , I think I'm going to def need to add some enzymes to get it to convert ... whats the other source/s of enzymes called ? where can i get it? - i cant find much about it searching on here.

or using flour? instead of the un-malted wheat -

Im not sure on amounts yet but here is a rough idea.

1 gal batch
beano 2-3 tabs
Flour 2-3 cups - (wheat flour)
1 lb honey
hand full - shredded carrots
1 lb oatmeal - (steeped)
us-05

Back