Dual temp for keg vs. Time ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
Ok, i bottled 12 and kegged the rest of my first brew ever [Yes, I have a stupid grin on my face].

I dont have a fridge but a cool room that my keg is in. Its at 64F and 17.8 psi to acheive a 2.0 carb level (Its an IPA).

Question #!: How long at this "Set and Forget" temp/psi combination will it take to acheive the 2.0 carb level?

Question #2: I am looking to serve this on Fen 25th at a party. I was planning on placing the keg in a garbage can of ice in order to chill. No I dont plan on filling the can full; but enough ice to chill the beer down to the mid to upper 40s F. So if I want to serve at say 48F, that would call for a psi of 10.4. My question is in regard to time... I figure it will only take a couple of hours to cool the beer, but do I need to allow more time for the CO2 to "level out"?

Thanks

MNBugeater

The pressure level will drop as the keg cools off. You will want to pressurize to 3-4 psi to serve. What you should do is chill the keg, vent the pressure, then attach the CO2 at serving pressure. The first pint or two will be a little cloudy & yeasty, but it will clear up.

Back