Automotive: CV joint gone with boot intact...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Driving 110 mi back home from visiting a cousin Saturday, drive train on my Subaru AWD started to make failing CV joint noises... that grew louder and louder. Barely made it home, the racket it makes is so loud, typical CV joint noise: on turns, on deceleration.
Today, looking at the CV joints boots, no visible problem, boots are intact.

Could a CV joint go bad even though the boot isn't ripped open?

This AWD system has a "viscosity coupler" apparently. This may have failed, but not sure what noise it would make when going bad.

Calling the dealer Monday... good thing I already bought my brew stuff!

beergears said:

Calling the dealer Monday... good thing I already bought my brew stuff!
Don't know the answer to your question, but it's reassuring to see you have your priorities straight!:tank:

beergears said:
Could a CV joint go bad even though the boot isn't ripped open?
Yup. Grease can squeeze out after a while and/or the bearings can just wear to the point where they need replacing. How many miles are on it?

Mileage is 76,000.

The surprising thing is the noise started tiny, only the day before, after driving trough a major rainstorm (ah!)

In my experience, CV joints take quite some time before developing serious noise...
I just hope it is not some other, costly component. Not that I cannot afford the repair, but it hurts my frugal ways, and implies I am a bad driver, somehow...!

i had the same problem with my explorer. started a day before it went out. Boot looked fine but def was bad. Its a pretty easy fix though

If you can do the work yourself, you can get a rebuilt CV axle for about $50.00.

I am ASE cert on brakes and suspension....I would say.....its shot. But an easy, easy fix if you are able to change your own oil even.

What year is the car? Macpherson struts? If so , it is a simple fix and replacement part, a few nuts, and wa-freakin-la, DONE. If you need help, PM me and I can talk you through it.

Buy the part and simply replace it, I'm confident you can do it and feel great about your skills afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to replace a CV joint in (I think it was a Cavalier <SP>) several years ago. I remember that the boot looked fine on it too, but it was defiantly the problem.

With only 76,000, it should be pretty easy. I had to do two tie rod ends on my 2005 vehicle after about 70k (bumper to bumper ran out at 60k) and it was a real pleasure working on a new vehicle compared to the rusted knucklebusters I'm used to working on. I always buy a full service manual for my vehicles, but a Haines manual will get you by for a fraction of the price if you're uncomfortable just figuring it out.

76K is about average for the CVJs I've replaced. Boot death seems more weather & time. In Las Vegas, the OEM boots only lasted four years. In S.F., the second set outlasted two sets of CVJs.

Loose wheel nuts...!
Had tire and alignment done recently, and they apparently not tighten lugs well.

Not so good news: the car had another emission sensor off, so, that money there.

EDIT: I am stuck at the dealer.. reading How to Brew!

Back