Hop Harvest 2007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Picked my hops today. Not a great yield, but about ten times what I had last year. Most of the hops got toasted last week, so I'll just leave them alone to store energy for next year.

Also picked around 1.5 lbs (wet) of an unknown hop that grows over a neighbor's house. Would have done better there last week, but the blackberry vines intertwined & shaded some of the vines.

How did everyone else do? Any Fresh Hop ales?

david_42 said:
Picked my hops today. Not a great yield, but about ten times what I had last year. Most of the hops got toasted last week, so I'll just leave them alone to store energy for next year.

It'd probably be better to prune off the hop cones and just throw them down ontop of the soil around the plants. As long as they're on the vine, they are using nutrients/energy from the plant. If your not going to harvest them, I say cut 'em off now.

I've got about three or four handfuls of fresh, unidentified hops sitting on my desk that a coworker just dropped off, it was all that the animals had not eaten on her farm. Not really a lot of aroma to them, I think they may be past their prime.

I got 6oz of Nugget and 10 of Cascade after drying. I used my new Food Saver with them for the first time. Works like a champ. I think I'll brew a Home grown Nugget/Cascade Pale Ale this weekend to see how they work.

I got 10oz of dried cascade and 3oz of dried Hallertau.

I've been planting some of the offshoots that had roots on them
at my brother-in-laws place, so next year should be interesting.

My attempt was a flop. I bought rhizomes of Centennial and Williamette.

The Centennial grew like a monster in the pot inside the house, and before I thought it was safe to transplant them outside, I put the pot out onto the porch.

The wind got to it and broke the stem....the rest of the vine never recovered.

My Williamette grew indoors, but it came down with some kind of disease....the leaves were all a mass of brown spots.

I'm just gonna buy them from here on out.

Also picked around 1.5 lbs (wet) of an unknown hop that grows over a neighbor's house. Would have done better there last week, but the blackberry vines intertwined & shaded some of the vines

you might want to get rid of that, the cops would prolly call that a felony, and the old "what do you mean those arent hops" trick might not play out for you !!:D LOL:rockin:

Jim Karr said:
The wind got to it and broke the stem....the rest of the vine never recovered.

It will come back next spring stronger than ever. I would not give up on it yet.

I didn't get anything this year--due to the fact that all 5 of my plants had to be transplanted at the new house. I expect some next year--provided I am still here.

If any of you hop growers are into sharing, you can always send some my way!!:p I'm definitely gonna have to plant some next year. I could go bankrupt buying these things, they smell so good!!

5 yr old Cascade vine that has been transplanted 4 times and split twice for 2 friends yield of 4 kg. Will trade my very healthy cascade rhizome for another variety..........Summit perhaps :D ........anyone know where I can get one..

Randy

My yield wasn't as good as I had hoped b/c of the excess rain and wind we had in August. But I still got more than last year. I got 20oz. of Cascade after they dried and used 4 fresh oz beforehand (see below). They're all sealed up in the freezer. I'm plucking the Nugget and Willamette tomorrow. I'm guessing I'll end up with ~5oz. of Nugget and maybe 1-2 oz. of Willamette. I'm about to give up on the Willamette after three years now. I planted a Magnum this year that grew ~10ft., but gave nothing.

david_42 said:
... Any Fresh Hop ales?
Yes, I used 4oz. of Cascade hops that my fiancee and I picked during the beginning of the boil of my last APA. We tossed them in during the last 10 mins. of the boil! The beer was just racked to secondary this week.

rhag1128 said:
5 yr old Cascade vine that has been... split twice for 2 friends...

I'll be moving soon and friends have expressed an intrerest in getting some cuttings. Any suggestions on how best to extract cuttings w/out damaging the plant? Any time of year that is better? How'd you store 'em?

I have not seen Summit rhizomes offered. It may be too new a variety. Maybe in another couple of years?:confused:

Back