School for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
If I was serrious about pursing a career in brewing, What school would be best to try and attend? I am not a science major right now, in fact I am an accounting major, but I am guessing that would not matter too much. What programs are best?

Formal education is not the way to enter this industry. Real world experience will beat a piece of paper on the wall 9 times out of 10. Get in like any job and climb the ranks.

Depends on where you want to live, what you want to do, and what your willing to take as a salary. If I were you I would check out some breweries that you would like to work for and test the waters.

Breweries also need accountants!!! Much more fun than cleaning out mash tuns if you ask me.

Ok well I'm curious to what the best path would be then? I am deff going to finish my accounting degree to have something to fall back on, but would attending one of these school sbe worth the money? Or would it be best to try and get a job with a brewery and try and work my way up?

I am going to go into Troegs over my spring break and ask if they have any type of summer work, I figure it would be a good start.

I wouldn't bother with brewing school. I've met dozens of people in the professional brewing industry and only one of them went to a beer school. If you have education in brewing technology or fermentation science, you will start in the same place as everyone else. The bottom. Why spend money on something that won't make you more money and won't place you higher up than someone without? That's not an investment, it's an expense.

Check out the Flying Dog Brewery website. They have a couple of schools they recommend in their career section and a little right up of what they look for in a candidate.
http://www.flyingdogbrewery.com/Contact-Jobs.aspx
Keep in mind Frederick has a low pay scale but just read through the positions especially the Brewer job description.
Good Luck in your pursuit.

From my understanding, in general most brewers have a strong background in either O-chem, or microbiology, or something similar

Ok well I'm curious to what the best path would be then? I am deff going to finish my accounting degree to have something to fall back on, but would attending one of these school sbe worth the money? Or would it be best to try and get a job with a brewery and try and work my way up?

I am going to go into Troegs over my spring break and ask if they have any type of summer work, I figure it would be a good start.

If it were me personally, I'd go the accounting route. I can almost guarantee you will make more money. A production brewer is not a glamorous job. But, if you want to test the waters, go to a local brewery and see if you can intern. Going to Siebel is roughly a $25k investment on top of what you are already paying to get your accounting degree.

Back