Cider has yeast flavor/carbonation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beansbrews

Reaction score
I just bottled up my first 5 gal batch of cider. I pasteurized, used all real beer brewing equipment, sterilized everything, etc... I tasted some cider and it has a yeasty flavor but the cider had completely stopped fermenting. Will this settle out over time in the bottles? I remember my dad always had sediment in his home brewed beer.

Also, I primed 5 gallons with 1/2 C sugar, and I think I'm supposed to leave it for a few weeks at around 70 degrees... The root cellar is usually somewhere between 40-50 degrees, so that shouldn't stop the yeast. Should I put it there now or after a while? Obviously the last thing i want is bombs...

If your cider had fermented out completely, so that the cider was completely dry, then the yeast will eat up the priming sugar and carbonate your cider without a worry about exploding bottles.

How do you know it was done fermenting? How long has it been? Did you take any specific gravity readings? Unless you know it was done I would be worried about the bottles - cider will usually ferment out completely so bottling too soon could be a concern.

It was about 3 weeks in the primary with no activity for several days at the end... Also took an sg reading of 1.000. I'll crack one open in a week to see how it's doing. Mostly I'm just wondering if anyone knows what that yeasty flavor is all about, just so I know what to expect or how long to give it before I start drinking it all... Im leaving until Christmas so my parents will have to try it sometime between now and then hah

Back