Hefeweizen Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan2539

Reaction score
I know many brewers here are against using secondary fermenters, but I like to use them myself. I just picked up a Kit of Northern Brewer’s Bavarian Hefeweizen. I understand that Hefeweizen is served intentionally cloudy. Because of this fact, should I forgo the use of a secondary fermenter for this style especially? I just received basic instructions, so I don’t have instructions specific to the Hefeweizen beer except for boil times.
Thanks in advance. :mug:

I would say yes, skip the secondary for this. There are Kristal (sp?) versions which are served clear, however.

"Because of this fact, should I forgo the use of a secondary fermenter for this style especially?"

Yep, just leave your HefeWeizen in the primary until it's ready.

I wouldn't change anything because it's a Hef, go with what's been working for you. I've got a Dunkel in a secondary that's dropped clear. I moved it to harvest the yeast from the primary and is sititng until I feel like bottling it. Also have a Hef in the primary that's now starting to clear.

When I do rack them I'll still leave as much yeast behind as I do for any other beer. There will still be plenty to bottle condition and if it drops clear, roll the bottle to suspend the yeast before serving.

I've personally noticed my hefeweizens got better when I stopped racking them. I know it's anecdotal, but I say leave it in the primary and save yourself the time or racking it.

I'd recommend skipping the secondary but I'd say the same for most beers. I don't think there's anything radically different about fermenting a hefe. I believe the chill haze comes from the proteins in the wheat but I could be wrong.

Be warned the hefe yeasts such as WLP300 makes a giant krausen and will most definitely need a blow off tube. Also, that yeast takes a loooong time to flocculate so be prepared to let it sit in the primary for a while until the yeast all falls to the bottom.

My understanding is that the hefe yeast specifically doesn't flocculate very well, so the yeast tends to stay suspended instead of grouping up and falling to the bottom of the fermenter, which is exactly why the beer is cloudy. Leave it in the primary, both for cloudiness and taste.

I've been brewing HWs since 1994. I secondary all of my beers.

A secondary allows more of the yeast to fall out which results in less yeast in the bottle and eventually the glass.

If it gets clear before bottling/kegging I just rack some of the yeast back into the bottling bucket or keg. I add just enough to get the brew cloudy again.

IMO it also makes the brew taste cleaner. ;)

I would do what you normally but watch the temp during fermentation. I used a secondary only because I don't like messing with success. I don't secondary to clear anyway - just to free up carboys!

My understanding is that the hefe yeast specifically doesn't flocculate very well, so the yeast tends to stay suspended instead of grouping up and falling to the bottom of the fermenter, which is exactly why the beer is cloudy. Leave it in the primary, both for cloudiness and taste.

Nope it's the proteins in the wheat malt that make the haze. It's true that the hefe yeast is very slow to flocculate but if you give it enough time it will fall out of solution. Make a wheat beer with American ale yeast and you will get the same haze.

Leave it in the primary to avoid potential for oxidation during the unnecessary transfer to the secondary. Just make sure you let it sit long enough for the yeast to finish fermentation and fully flocculate. Or transfer to a secondary for the flocculation it's up to you. It's just like any other ale fermentation.

Back