Bottle or Carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
So say you have a high gravity brew that needs like 9 months or so to mature. Will there be any difference between keeping in carboy for 9 months then bottling or bottling after say a month in the secondary and letting condition for 8 months in the bottle?

Would like to free up some carboys...

Thanks.

so then bottle... or buy another glass carboy to bulk age... you can never have too many

Cheers

sorry, but it was a 50/50 question... and seeing as i would have half a chance to be wrong in either case i chose to answer with both answers.... go ahead and bottle it frees up your carboy and it also means you can hide the bottle easier(which will keep you from checking how they it taste and dipping into the carboy every week or so like i have to resist doing) and you have less of a risk of infection.

Cheers

Most of what I've seen (and I'm a noob myself) suggests fermenting until completion, then aging in a bottle at length (a year if it's a barleywine or framboise. So I'd say go ahead and bottle, then leave till it's ready.

Back