Alternative Sugar Beer Caramel Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelManCM

Reaction score
Recipe: Caramel Porter
Brewer: Ales of the Dead
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 11.56 gal
Post Boil Volume: 10.56 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.80 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 43.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
16 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 73.2 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
1 lbs 15.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.8 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.6 %
15.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.3 %
52.00 oz Caramel (Boil 60.0 mins) Flavor 6 -
3.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 29.8 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.0 pkg London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028) [12 Yeast 9 -

I created a 2L starter and decanted prior to pitching. Fermented in primary for two weeks, bottle conditioned for six.

Nice smooth, silky mouthfeel. May be too easy to drink ;). The caramel adds more of a creaminess than flavor, though there is a hint of caramel flavor.

Photo%2BMar%2B27%2C%2B4%2B25%2B17%2BPM.jpg

This won the competition at teh Big Brew event at our local brewery. I'll be brewing it on their Pilot System to be sold through their tap room!

Sounds very interesting. This is going on the to-brew list. What did you use for the caramel?

How was the clean up with all that caramel in there? Guessing it stays with the wort and doesn't fall out. Thanks.

2 questions for you. Could you provide an honest taste review. Also am I understanding correctly that you used over 3 pounds of individually wrapped caramels?

I apologize as I did not read your review at the bottom of your recipe. Would you increase the caramel flavor next time and if so what would you do?

I would not add any more caramel to enhance the flavor. I'm not too keen on overly sweet beers, though.

Yes, over three pounds! :mug:

I plan on brewing this the coming weekend and was curious, did you have any issues with the fat the caramel contains killing the head retention?

Just made this on Friday! Make sure to stir a lot to get all the caramel into the wort. I had a little left on the bottom of the kettle. Then my London Ale yeast didn't take so I going to use some s-04. I am still holding out for a good beer!

Back