Aging for 21 years...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirthomas42

Reaction score
I'm going to be an uncle in a few months, and I thought how cool it would be to make a batch of mead for my nephew to give on his 21st birthday. I'm going to make a blackberry mead (I have ~16 lbs of blackberry honey!), but I'm curious if there's anything special I need to do to ensure that the batch, once bottled, will keep for 21 years. :) Thoughts?

It should keep if you don't drink it.

Sorry, that was pretty useless...

I would suggest possibly cork it and wax coat the top of it, maybe to help prevent some breathing. But then again, my oldest wine is only 2 years, so I may be no help...

I would make it strong, and wait a long time before bottling it. Once it's clear enough that it could go into bottles, let it bulk age for longer. I would go at least a year or two before even thinking about bottling it. You could also cold crash it, then transfer it to a corny keg, purge the air from it and then release all the CO2 pressure from it. That way the void is just filled with enough CO2 to keep it safe. Maybe rack/transfer it once every 6-12 months into a fresh keg for a few more years, before bottling it. Pick some really nice bottles, high grade corks (or synthetic ones) and bottle it up. I would make sure to have a temperature stable area to keep it once in bottles too. A wine cellar would be ideal. Or, you could keep it in the keg, in the keezer, for X years before you bottle it up.

I actually bottled one batch of mead from a corny keg, that I had placed into the brew fridge for a couple of weeks. It was super easy to get it into bottles, since I just fitted my bottling wand, and hose to a liquid QD. I used a few PSI of CO2 to push the mead out of the keg, into bottles. Made it so that I had the keg on the ground next to me, where I was bottling. I plan on using that method to bottle all of my meads when they're ready in the future.

I also use frosted bottles for my mead, since I like how they look. I would pick some really nice bottles for this batch, since it's going to be around for some time. Also, since you have plenty of time, you can make sure it's finished, and won't make bottle bombs before going to bottle. If you can get some more blackberry honey, I would. Get enough for a 5 gallon batch (make 5.5-6 gallons, so you can bottle about 5). Use some yeast that will do the honey justice too. You could easily go to 18% (maybe higher) with EC-1118. Try step-feeding it honey (use yeast energizer and nutrient too, as well as degassing and aerating/oxygenating until the 1/3 break).

DSC00298001.jpg

thats what happens to rubber bungs after 30 years.

i don't think it has to be high in alcohol, but just keep it cool, out of the sun and have a well sealed cork/cap. the problem with corks is gradually degrade and need replacing once in a while. maybe wax will help, or use plastic caps.

thats what happens to rubber bungs after 30 years.

I'm assuming that was a regular rubber bung?
But what about synthetic corks? They aren't biodegradable, and I would think that they are also spontaneously-melt-proof.

yeah i doubt they had synthetic bungs back then.
synthetic corks may not "melt" but synthetic corked wine does not age well, so i would not use them. plenty of tests show synthetic corks are worse than natural cork and screw tops.

consider sealing the corks and bottle tops with wax.... You could also consider using a combination of cork and cap...Lindeman uses this packaging for their lambics...I've played around with the bottles that Dogfish Head uses for some of their 'big' beers, and you can put a cork in them, then cap them with a standard crown cap. I'd think this would be an excellent preservation method in terms of an oxygen barrier.

the biggest key is a high ABV. needs to be a minimum of 10% 12% or 13% would be better

Nice bottles was another persons suggestion, I can't agree more. Get a nice bottle and some glass etch. Making a stencil and ethcing is pretty easy and not too expensive, and this way you can personalize the bottle.

As for storing, hit up Ebay and get yourself a small wine cooler. They are great to have anyway, and this small investment will help you ensure that the storage is ideal year after year.

You could also consider using a combination of cork and cap...

thats not a bad idea at all. you would need to leave them upright for a while after corking. then it may pay to let them sit and bottle age before fitting the caps.
it would pay to sterilize the caps/cork top so nothing grows on the top of the cork under the cap and coat the caps so they don't rust/oxidize.

only problem is if the corks turn to mush. need to find what causes corks to degrade.

thats why you use synthetic, they don't require coating, sanitizing, and are supposed to last much much longer.

I'm not following you. Synthetic corks are superior to regular corks, and benefit his long term aging. You made a comment about corks degrading, i supplied a solution.

Good 'ol trusty(?) Wikipedia states this:

(Quote from Alternative wine closure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Synthetic corks are made from plastic compounds designed to look and "pop" like natural cork, but without the risk of TCA contamination. Disadvantages of some wine synthetic corks include a risk of harmful air entering a bottle after only 18 months, as well as the difficulty in extracting them from the bottle and using the plastic cork to reseal the wine. James Laube of Wine Spectator notes that some can also impart a slight chemical flavour to the wine.

Unlike natural corks, many wine synthetic corks are made from material that is not biodegradable but recyclable as either #4 or #7 (see resin identification code) in many communities. There are two main production techniques for synthetic wine closures: injection molding and extrusion (mono- and co-). Methods also exist which are claimed to combine the two techniques of injection and extrusion. A 2007 study by Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2 University showed that injection molded synthetic corks allowed the highest levels of oxygen permeation in when compared to natural cork and screw caps, offering the lowest protection against oxidation of the wine. An advanced new generation of injection molded synthetic closures have developed a system of nano-cells as to perfectly replicate the cellular structure of natural cork and by exactly duplicating the permeability values of the top-quality-one-piece natural corks.

According to this, synthetic corks are not good to use for long term aging.
HOWEVER, the last sentence "An advanced new generation of injection molded synthetic closures have developed a system of nano-cells as to perfectly replicate the cellular structure of natural cork and by exactly duplicating the permeability values of the top-quality-one-piece natural corks" tells me that there are some synthetic corks that are greater-than-or-equal-to natural corks.

I wonder how easily obtainable/expensive these newer synthetic corks are.

Learn something every day. Personally I use regular corks, but had read synthetics were better. Interesting.

everything i have read has said synthetic corks where poor.

over here most of the wine is screw cap anyway. its generally only high end wines that are cork and most of them that i've seen (not that i see much) use natural. i would suspect thats what wine consignors like, even if its just for tradition.
if i see synthetic i think "cheap".

+1 for natural corks and sealing with wax... This is a proven method used for hundreds of years. Synthetic corks are relatively new and IMO unproven for long term storage.. I would also avoid the agglomerate corks... You could also store the bottles in cardboard box the bottles came in, then store the box in a airtight rubbermaid type box for added measures.

You could also do crown caps and seal with wax. Granted, it wasn't 20 years, but more like a 12 or 14 year old mead that I had somewhat recently that had been sealed that was sealed that way. Tasted pretty darn good.

Golddiggie said:
I would make it strong, and wait a long time before bottling it. Once it's clear enough that it could go into bottles, let it bulk age for longer.

Great advise. I would also add when letting it bulk age put your carboy on a stir plate. Take samples. Repitch yeast if fermentation gets stuck.

Back