Pliny The Elder--AHS On sale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wel that SUCKS! I just brewed a Pliny clone and spent $75 through my LHBS. I didn't think it would ever sell that cheap. I still think I got an awesome deal though.

I wonder why it's so cheap?

Maybe they have inventory they need to get rid of?

I paid $180 at my LHBS for a 10 gallon batch just after Thanksgiving. I had to jump on this.

I just ordered a kit on sale. Starts at $57.49, and if you don't get anything but the basic kit (no yeast, no priming sugar no nutrient) it goes DOWN!!

Just thought others might want to know...I love Pliny!
Pliny The Elder AG Kit AHS

Actually, the yeast and yeast fuel are in addition and there is no charge for priming sugar.

Does anyone have the recipe? May still be cheaper to do yourself if you have the bulk grains.

Maybe they have inventory they need to get rid of?

I paid $180 at my LHBS for a 10 gallon batch just after Thanksgiving. I had to jump on this.

Each kit comes with 17oz of hops (yes, 17!). I'm guessing this is a good way for AHS to get rid of hops that need to be moved.

Actually, the yeast and yeast fuel are in addition and there is no charge for priming sugar.

Does anyone have the recipe? May still be cheaper to do yourself if you have the bulk grains.

The grains for a 5 gallon batch come to about 16lbs. That really isn't abnormal for an AG batch. It is the hops that add up. 17oz at anywhere from $1.75 to $2.50 an oz make the recipe a bank buster.

The hops alone are anywhere from $30 to $42, depending on hop price.
16lbs of grain at $1.75/lb from the LHBS makes it $30 for grain.

If you had pale in bulk at $.65/lb, that cuts the grain in half. But hops normally contribute about 10-15% of the price for a large number of recipes, and on this one the hops contribute over 50%!!

We'll see how it goes. I forgot to double up on my order last night (10 gallon batch instead of 5), so I did another order with the hopes they could combine the two on to one shipping. So far they have been really helpful even though it was my fault forgetting.

Here it is. http://www.brew365.com/beer_pliny_the_elder.php. It is also in a recent past issue of BYO, and there is a thread about it on here somewhere. I did the one from BYO

May still be cheaper to do yourself if you have the bulk grains.

With my current inventory (bulk grain, bulk hops, and frozen yeast), I could do a 5 gallon batch of pliny for approximately $19. So, yes.

Missed that one! Doh!
images.jpg

With my current inventory (bulk grain, bulk hops, and frozen yeast), I could do a 5 gallon batch of pliny for approximately $19. So, yes.

That is about what I spent on my version. I am going to do it again soon since I have 2 bottles left. I want to try out my brew infuser so I need to dry hop something

It's been on sale at that price before. If you've never made it I would try it. Mine tasted great and was one of the best beers I've made. Makes all other IPA/IIPAs taste mild.

Yeah hops are cheap in large quantity but not when you have to buy all different hops in this brew.

That probably needs more 2-row.. Looks like it only comes out to only like 7% or something.

It's 7.5-8% depending on your efficiency. And I highly suggest not changing the recipe by adding more 2-row. It does seem like it would be unbalanced...but this is Pliny...it's perfection in a bottle for hopheads.

its too bad this deal wont last long. I dont have a barley crusher and wouldnt be able to brew until atleast 1.5 months

That probably needs more 2-row.. Looks like it only comes out to only like 7% or something.

It's 7.5-8% depending on your efficiency. And I highly suggest not changing the recipe by adding more 2-row. It does seem like it would be unbalanced...but this is Pliny...it's perfection in a bottle for hopheads.

Its actually more 2-row than the recipe that Vinnie provided for Zymurgy a few months back

Ingredients
for 6.0 gallons (22.7 L) [Net: 5 gallons (18.9 L) after hop loss]

11.0 lb (5.0 kg) Two-Row pale malt
0.5 lb (227 g) Crystal 45 malt
0.5 lb (227 g) Carapils (Dextrin) Malt
0.4 lb (181 g) Dextrose (corn) sugar
3.50 oz (99 g) Columbus 13.90% A.A. 90 min.
0.75 oz (21 g) Columbus 13.90% A.A. 45 min.
1.00 oz (28 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 30 min.
1.00 oz (28 g) Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.
2.50 oz (71 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.
1.00 oz (28 g) Columbus 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
1.00 oz (28 g) Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
1.00 oz (28 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
0.25 oz (7 g) Columbus 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz (7 g) Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz (7 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)

Original Gravity: 1.070
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBUs: 90-95 (actual/not calculated)
ABV: 8-8.5%
SRM: 7

Directions:
Mash grains at 151-152F (66-67C) for an hour or until starch conversion is complete. Mash out at 170F (77C) and sparge. Collect 8 gallons (30 L) of run off, stir in dextrose, and bring to a boil. Add hops as indicated in the recipe. After a 90 minute boil, chill wort to 67F (19C) and transfer to fermenter. Pitch two packages of yeast or a yeast starter and aerate well. Ferment at 67F (19C) until fermentation activity subsides, then rack to secondary. Add first set of dry hops on top of the racked beer and age 7-9 days then add the second set. Age five more days then bottle or keg the beer.

Extract Substituation
Substitute 6.5 lb (3.0 kg) of light dry malt extract for two-row malt. Due to the large hop bill for this recipe, a full wort boil is recommended. Steep grains in 1 gallon of water at 165F (18C) for 30 minutes, then remove and rinse grains with hot water. Stir in dextrose and top up kettle to 8 gallons (30 L), and bring to a boil. Add hops as indicated in the recipe. After a 90 minute boil, chill wort to 67F (19C) and transfer to fermenter. Pitch two packages of yeast or a yeast starter and aerate well. Ferment at 67F (19C) until fermentation activity subsides, then rack to secondary. Add first set of dry hops on top of the racked beer and age 7-9 days then add the second set. Age five more days then bottle or keg the beer.

That's a bit different from the standard recipe you see floating around the net. I used the original recipe with 12lbs 2-row, 1lb corn sugar, 1lb carapils, and .33lb Crystal 40. The hop schedule looks a bit different too.

Does anyone know the pre-boil volume for this kit? I have a 7.5 gallon pot and want to make sure I'm not going to fall short before I order it....

Its actually more 2-row than the recipe that Vinnie provided for Zymurgy a few months back

Ingredients
for 6.0 gallons (22.7 L) [Net: 5 gallons (18.9 L) after hop loss]

11.0 lb (5.0 kg) Two-Row pale malt
0.5 lb (227 g) Crystal 45 malt
0.5 lb (227 g) Carapils (Dextrin) Malt
0.4 lb (181 g) Dextrose (corn) sugar
3.50 oz (99 g) Columbus 13.90% A.A. 90 min.
0.75 oz (21 g) Columbus 13.90% A.A. 45 min.
1.00 oz (28 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 30 min.
1.00 oz (28 g) Centennial 8.00% A.A. 0 min.
2.50 oz (71 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. 0 min.
1.00 oz (28 g) Columbus 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
1.00 oz (28 g) Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
1.00 oz (28 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (12 to 14 days total)
0.25 oz (7 g) Columbus 13.90% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz (7 g) Centennial 9.10% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)
0.25 oz (7 g) Simcoe 12.30% A.A. Dry Hop (5 days to go in dry hop)

That's also 4.5oz of hops less than AHS includes in their kit...Can anyone post the ingredient list and instructions that AHS provides? I'm curious to how they differ.

Back