Munich as a base malt Milk Stout - need opinions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortyjacobs

Reaction score
So the only Bells double cream stout clones I can find use Munich. I am thinking of using Munich as a base malt for a Milk Stout....opinions on the recipe below? Too complicated? Should I cut down on flaked/roasted barley? Do I need more Munich? Or perhaps some Pale?

Thanks!

Edit: changed up recipe:

Itchy Dog - Milch-Knochen
Sweet Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 11/17/2009
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.67 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

New Recipe: (see below)
Code:
Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU 
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.26 % 
8 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 68.09 % 
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 % 
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 % 
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %

0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.6 IBU 
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.1 IBU 
1.00 oz US Goldings [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.7 IBU 

12.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6.38 % 
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale  

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.22 %  
Bitterness: 38.5
Est Color: 38.3 SRM

Old Recipe:
Code:
[B]Ingredients[/B]

Amount Item Type % or IBU 
[COLOR="Silver"]8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 4.17 % [/COLOR]
6 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 54.17 % 
1 lbs Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 8.33 % 
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 % 
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 % 
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 % 

1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU 
1.00 oz US Goldings [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU 
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM - added in last 10 min) Sugar 8.33 % 

1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale  (3000 mL starter)

[B]Beer Profile[/B]

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG 
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 %  
Bitterness: 29.5 IBU 
Est Color: 32.0 SRM

Mash Profile

Cliffs notes: Mash at 153 for 60 min.

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
Sparge Water: 3.87 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.50 qt of water at 162.8 F 153.0 F

There's a lot going in in this recipe! I agree that Bells double cream stout is great, so if this is a certifiable clone, go for it. OTOH, if you're inclined to tinker... 1) I don't know what the flaked barley is buying you in this recipe - you could simplify by swapping base malt. 2) Munich malt for base is OK, but I think you will lose some of its subtle malt profile in this brew. I'd use Brit Pale as a base. 3) 1 lb seems like a lot of roasted barley - I'd swap half out for chocolate malt. 4) This is a personal preference, but I would skip the lactose, and bump up the base malt and mash temperature to compensate.

Cheers!

Thanks Dos Locos

I was thinking the flaked barley for mouthfeel....I don't know what "mouthfeel" I really want, as I'm not very experienced in naming things, but I want the "thick, sweet, chewyness" of a heavy stout. I made a stout recently and it just tastes very thin....except for the bolder chocolate note it tastes almost identical to my Mild, which is not what I wanted, (and I mashed high, and used oats and flaked barley, and roasted barley).

The lactose is here to try and give me that thicker sweet taste too, (will it? never used it before)

Yeah, still on the fence with all that Munich....adds $$ to the batch and will it be noticeable? I'm only doing it because that's what the two Double Cream clones I saw used, (btw, this is NOT a double cream clone...more of an homage....the double cream clones were just 10 lb munich, 1 lb flaked barley, 1 lb roasted barley)....

Flaked for mouthfeel, roger that. I like oats myself.

I might go with an 80L crystal, I love the 120 in a dubbel, but the raisiny flavor I don't care for in a stout.

OK, you had some more input, and with your previous results with too-thin Stout, I'd have to say, go ahead and try the Munich and the lactose. My impression of Munich based on my maerzens is not really "thick", but a nice dry maltiness. The lactose will make the brew incrementally thicker/sweeter, and it is (of course) traditional in a milk stout. But damn, if you aren't getting mouthfeel with oats, flaked barley, roasted barley, and high mash temp, I'm a bit at loss. What about that stuff that McDonalds uses to thicken its milkshakes?

Also try roasting your oatmeal really enhances the flavor and aroma. I just racked my Robust Oatmeal Porter to secondary I did 16 gal split 3 ways used 04, 05 and ringwood, the ringwood yeast was wonderful.

OK, changed up the recipe. I dropped the flaked barley after reading through "Best Laid Plans", (thanks Hugh_Jass), as I figure I have enough "Extra crap" in there. I also dropped the Crystal in favor of not complicating the profile of the beer....(caramel getting in the way of the Munich).

I added black patent to give back some color, and some burnt flavor. I dropped the lactose to 12 oz, (again, simplify), and I threw in a half ounce of Willamette to up the BU/GU ratio to close to the "Best Laid Plans"

Edits are all in original post....whaddya think, (left mash profile the same...and added a name!)

Back