Very Newbie Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedbrew

Reaction score
I have only made a few home brews in my time and it has always been from a kit following instructions.

I am looking to go a HG or AG method soon but want to make sure I know everything before I get started.. so just to start.. do gravity readings change depending on the wort your have made?

Or is the fermentation the same for all brews?

Sorry about the newbie questions but just want to make some notes before I kick off.

:drunk:

Yup, gravity readings will be drastically different depending on what your grain bill is like. Mild 1.025 to barley wine 1.100+

Heck even when I think I know everything, something always happens to remind me I don't know jack.
Kind of off topic I do know Jack, but his last name is Murphy, so you know how that goes.
All grain opens up so much more control over the style, the temperature of the mash can allow for a higher or lower attenuation, (final gravity). Being able to mix and mash different speciality grains. (Bad pun I know).
It does open up broad horizons, and if you enjoy homebrewing, it is a nice journey to take.
Best of luck.

Thanks guys, I know I will never know everything, but at least want to understand the basics.

My thoughts were right in regards to gravity.. I guess I just need to jump in head first!

Back