half or gallon bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
Anyone bottle in half or gallon GLASS bottles? Nice to share. If so, Where do you get them. Something decorative would be nice.

Even Quarts would be cool.

I have some 1 liter EZ-Cap glass bottles that are simple...yet effective in reducing the amount of 12oz bottles you have to bottle with.

Check out the online homebrew sites for them. They come in brown and clear for sure...maybe other colors.

Thanks, the "ez cap" bottles look good, do you have to replace the rubber seal each time, or just sanitize it?

Sean said:
Thanks, the "ez cap" bottles look good, do you have to replace the rubber seal each time, or just sanitize it?

Just pull them off and drop them in some iodophor while bottles are soaking.

I picked up some 1 Liter size at Austin HBS. They rock for taking care of what's left after you rack to a 3 gallon corny and they make nice gifts too. Just order a few extra gaskets and keep em around for when you tear one or it gets lost.

Apfelweinbottle.jpg

Nice Ed! Those look like the 22oz'rs?

People get a kick out of the "pop!" sound that flip-tops make.

Thanks. They 33.8 oz'rs (One Liter) A few of these make short work of any bottling session when you figure only 4 will take just over a gallon.

I have the clear EZ-Caps. Don't remember the necks looking like that...

Yea, 1 12-pack will bottle 2/3 of a 5gal batch. But they are steep at almost 30 bucks a 12-pack.

I drove up today, about 1 1/2 hours, and got 12 - 1 liter blue bottles, about the same as Ed Wort's. The blue is pretty cool. As well as various and asundry beer condiments.

I have several 1.5 liter flippies as well as 1 liter ones. I have seen 4 liter flip top growlers, but they were around $50 each. Even 2 liter ones are $20-25. I've never had much success getting screw top bottles to hold pressure and even though you can find apple cider in gallon bottles, I doubt they are designed to hold any pressure.

Take a look at the German 5 liter mini-kegs. They have their pluses and minuses, but the size is where you are looking, they are designed to hold pressure and they don't break when you drop them.

sorry to steal the thread. with the larger bottles/jugs, do you have to leave more room at the top to prevent overcarbonation? Or can you just fill them up all the way to within one inch from the top as you would a 12 ouncer?

I went to a BYOB restaurant last week and they keep old bottles from past customers sitting on the shelves. Well, right in front of our table was a beautiful, 3L flip top growler! The best part is, our waitress let me have it for nothing. So now I can add that beauty to my bottle collection . . just thought I'd share :mug:

Back