Kegging system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christianb17

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a kegging system in my apt. So I can keg and bottle my beer. The only thing is that I have no idea what that entails... Do I need a mini fridge for the keg, the keg itself, and a co2 tank?? Also how much would this cost?

To buy it complete would cost more than to build it yourself.

Start by using the search feature on this site.

1) Mini fridge or freezer with temp controller
2) Keg, 5 gallon soda Ball Lock (taller, skinnier from Pepsi) or Pin Lock (shorter, fatter from Coke). You can still find them used for $40, but they seem to be going up in $$.
3) CO2 tank, 5, 10, or 20 lb
4) High pressure regulator w/ shutoff (single or dual regulation for 1 or 2 keg setups)
5) 3/16" beer line, at least 12', ball lock or pin lock fittings to match your keg
6) O-ring replacement kit if your keg has not been fully reconditioned with new ones. Keg lube helps creating a great seal, you don't want to loose that CO2
7) CO2 fill, the tanks usually come empty
8) A faucet. Can be as nice as a SS Perlick with a shank and tower, or as cheap as a cobra picnic tap. Can also put your favorite tap handle on, or start a collection

And don't forget to brew up something nice for your first keg! As you can see it can get pretty expensive fast. I think I spend $185 on a single tap setup with Perlick and chrome tower, but I had a freebie mini fridge and a buddy who worked at a brew supply store (nice discount). Midwest Supplies has a nice Ball Lock keg starter package that's pretty reasonable.

If you happen to have a second fridge already you might be able to squeeze the keg into it. I did this when I started kegging. This did not go over well when we had food to put in there so I ended up getting a dedicated keg fridge and built a coffin box for my taps.

So... keg about $25 to 50, fridge from $100 to $200, regulator and CO2 tank $50 and $100, and misc hoses, clamps, picnic tap about $25 to 30. Thus $200 to $380 give or take.

B

Honestly, unless you are a handy carpenter with all the tools, for $300 - $400 bucks you could by a manufactured keg-orator and save yourself a lot of time and frustration. If I sound like I'm speaking from experience....

Back