Should I be Sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAShooter

Reaction score
My last two clone recipes came from a book in my LHBS ( not sure which book ). I'm not set up for AG so the recipe converts and gives "All Extract" instructions.

Basically, it states to steep 2lbs of malts in 2.5 lbs of water for 45 minutes @ 150. However, no mention of sparging. So after the 45 minutes I've allowed my grain bag to drain then toss it in the trash can. From there I'll add DME / LME and begin the boil / hop schedule.

Should I sparge? If so, how much sparge water should I use?

You can just pour cold water over your grain bag and top up to your boil volume. The idea is to just wash the grains at this point. I guess you could call it sparging,

With steeping grains, your not getting a ton of sugars out of them, they are more for flavor. I wouldnt worry about sparging them. If you do though, use 168-170 degree water. Cold water wont dissolve the sugars that remain in the the grain.

I woyuldnt use more than 3 quarts.

Back