How to store beer after secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytoptim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just brewed my first 10 gal batch and I have a question about how to store it once it gets kegged. I currently only have one tap on my fridge so once I keg the beer into two 5 gal cornies do I place the one not being used in ther fridge (I do have space for two) or do I let the one not being used sit in my basement (right now basement is about 60 deg). If i put it in the basement do I need to add some CO2 to it while it sits?

You need to at least add CO2 (30psi) and purge a few times to get the Oxygen out and help seal the lid. You can also carb it and let it sit @ 60 or chill it. For me it would depend on how fast I was going to finish off the first 5 gallons. I like to have my beers chilled for at least 2 weeks before I drink them, I never seem to be able to reach that goal but I am trying!

I assume you're going to be force carbing the one in the fridge. For the other one, prime it with sugar, seal the lid with 20-30 PSI, purge the air, and let it sit. Hopefully by the time you're done with the first keg, it will be fully carbed.

Mike

Never would hurt to keep it in the fridge. If you have the room, throw it in there. Otherwise, there is absolutely no issue with storing it in the basement as well. Either way, the beer will have time to condition and will problably turn out better than your first keg.

As samc stated, hit the keg with 30 psi and then bleed the air out. Do that a few times before storing. Just helps to ensure there is no oxygen left in the keg and also ensures a great seal on the keg.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/how-long-will-keg-last-room-temp-123531/

Check this post out, I have the same issue, to much beer with not enough kegerator space. I just wanted to know if I would be able to store my beer outside the kegerator. Just to sum the posting up, we came to the consensus that most people have had luck storing beer under carbonation (gotta keep it carbed) at room temp (70 F) for at least 6 months up to a year. So just find a nice cool spot in the house, make sure it is nice and carbed and let her sit until you have room in the kegerator.

That is a great problem to have! Doing 10 gallon batches you'll be wanting a second tap before long.

I just kegged my first one. I just added priming sugar. I am letting it sit for 3 weeks at 70 degrees. Should I had put carbonation it it first?

I just kegged my first one. I just added priming sugar. I am letting it sit for 3 weeks at 70 degrees. Should I had put carbonation it it first?

This will also be fine, if you have co2 available, you can put some in it and purge with the relief a couple times. If you don't have co2 readily available, simply wait a week and give it a couple of quick relief releases, then wait the remaining 2 weeks. Kinda depends how full the keg is too.

It's best to purge and seal the keg with CO2. That way the beer won't oxidize and you'll know that the keg is sealed up well.

Mike

Latest posts

Back