Wort Chiller options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
I'm moving to full boil 5 gal batches which means that I'll probably have a greater need for a wort chiller.

However I don't have a hose hookup because I live in an apartment. I'll be brewing at a location that's too far from my sink to hook up a hose to my sink. Any ideas for chilling? All the options I've seen for immersion/counterflow chillers would require a hose of some sort. I suppose I could make an immersion chiller that has a big funnel at the top or something. Otherwise maybe I'll just use an ice bath.

I just figure I'm not the first person to have this circumstance and maybe someone has a great idea for me. :mug:

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Uhh I personally just move my brewpot to the sink where i bought an adapter to connect a 5/8 hose to it and that hose connects to my IC. The adapter was like $3 at Low's.

Note: unscrew the tip of your facet and take it with you (the little part where the water comes out) and they have a thing you screw it into to see your thread size, etc.

Do you have a washing machine water connection close to where you brew? Even if it's a bit farther away, you could run a garden hose through the apartment to your brew area. Just have one that you don't use outside so it doesn't leave any dirt on the rug.

I'm moving to full boil 5 gal batches which means that I'll probably have a greater need for a wort chiller.

However I don't have a hose hookup because I live in an apartment. I'll be brewing at a location that's too far from my sink to hook up a hose to my sink. Any ideas for chilling? All the options I've seen for immersion/counterflow chillers would require a hose of some sort.

Do a recirculating immersion chiller. Basically, build an IC, fill a cooler with ice water, and use a submersible pump to run the water through the IC and back into the cooler.

I use a garden hose adapter to a 3/8 nipple... then run 40' of 3/8 out to my deck. I added a 15ft piece of hose to the other side to help pull the water through the IC faster. I usually collect the first 6 gallons of warm water and use that for cleanup. The rest of the water ends up watering the plants. You can use regular garden hose.. you'll just need to neck it back down to your copper size on the deck.

Oh.. if you use multiple pieces of tubing with connectors... make sure they have hose clamps!! Lol... I live and learn on that one...

I have an simlar water issue also, so I just bought a small fountain pump for $24 that does 140 GPH from Lowes. I'm planning to submerge it in a cooler full of ice water and connect it up to my wort cooler, which is nothing more that a coil of 3/8 copper tubing. I tested the pump and seems to move plenty of water, but I haven't tested it with any wort yet.

Uhh I personally just move my brewpot to the sink where i bought an adapter to connect a 5/8 hose to it and that hose connects to my IC. The adapter was like $3 at Low's.

Note: unscrew the tip of your facet and take it with you (the little part where the water comes out) and they have a thing you screw it into to see your thread size, etc.

Keggle doesn't fit in the sink. Probably would get murdered if I disconnected the washing machine. Thanks for the ideas, though.

Maybe I'll just use an ice bath for now. I haven't put the spigot on the keg yet and I think it'll still fit in a keg cooler. I'm moving in May and my situation may end up being better at the new place. Otherwise I'll probably do the water pump idea... thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back