Homebrew experts: who wants to critique a sampler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My beer is not as good as I want it to be.

I know everyone wants their beer to be better, but I think many of you are getting better results than me. I've been brewing for under a year (95 gallons so far) so I haven't had as much time to systematically experiment. For one thing, my beers all have a very similar aroma to me which isn't great and I don't know quite how to describe it. I was having trouble getting bitterness which I countered with water treatment and I got bitterness alright, and while the IPA is still young, I don't know if it is going to be very good anytime soon. I spend a lot of time reading about brewing methods on this site, reading other sites, reading and rereading palmer, listening to podcasts, etc. I've only ever drank one other homebrew, so I don't have a whole lot to compare my beer to other than commercial beer. I'd like to send a sampler out to one or more of our more experienced and knowledgeable brewers to see if they recognize signs of improper techniques, or can just tell me how my beer could be made better. I'm not looking for recipe critique, but of course I'll post recipes for each beer. I keep very good records of my brewing, so I know exactly how long each beer spent at what temp, the alpha acid of every hop addition, etc. Any volunteers? Bob? Ed?

I guess I'm saying that this brewery is ready for change.

Yes we can!:confused:

I'll overview my brewing process to answer some of the basic process questions:

All grain batch sparger. 5 gallons batches, efficiency ranging from 68 to 93 percent, but usually 70-80%. I order my ingredients from Northern Brewer and usually request that they crush my grain twice which gives me better efficiency. No lagering, and I've only recently started cold crashing and kegging. Fermentation temps between 66-72 using better bottles and wet t-shirts. I also recently got a 15 gallon kettle, but I used to use a 7 gallon, so I now can boil much harder. Both my new and old kettles are aluminum, properly oxidized before brewing, cleaned with water and a rag, and stored dry. Old kettle is now HLT. I chill using a homemade 30' CFC, used to be gravity fed but now I recirculate with a pump. MLT is a 50 quart rectangular cooler with a SS braid around a perforated piece of tubing. I almost always use dry yeast rehydrated in 85-90 degree water for 20 mins before pitching. One 11g packet, as most of my beers are session strength, but I use mr malty for stronger ones. I repitched slurry for the IPA. That's about all I can think of for now

Well, I in no way would consider myself to be one of our more experienced and knowledgeable brewers. The opposite, really.

But you can sure as hell send me a sampler and I'd give you a dead-honest assessment!:eek:

I can't believe this thread went 8 minutes without getting replied to!

I'm not as much of an expert as BM or Ed or BrewPastor or the likes... But I'm always glad to review beers - I've participated in 888 RIS (Review 1, 2, and 3) and 10der & Mild (see around post #210) swaps thus far, as well as a couple of smaller one-on-one swaps. PM me if you would be interested in my help.

My suggestion would be, if possible, to send to a person that would be able to share it with other homebrewers (HBT members or otherwise) possibly even professionals. This way you can get 3 opinions for the cost of one.

Also, do you have a local homebrew club? They might be willing to help or even come by and brew with you.

You might want to enter some brews in an AHA sanctioned competition because in theory, those judges are most qualified to be as objective as possible and you'll get score sheets back with their analysis. If you don't want to do that, by all means go ahead and send me a few with the brew notes and recipes. I'll try to pour them when a few brew club members are around so you can get a more varied response.

Great, one of the benefits I'm looking for here is to have people sample more than just one of my beers to find [in]consistancies between them, so I may enter some competitions but this seems better.

I belong to a brew club with several award winning members as well as a couple of judges. If you really want to ship them this far I'd be happy to take them to a meeting and have them critiqued. I'll even copy off BJCP scoresheets and send them to you with the results. PM me if you are interested.

I am 21.3 times less of an expert talley is ;), I am only on my 3rd batch and still learning about new styles of beers I've never tried. I would definitely be interested in sampling your beer but my critique or lack of one cannot be compared to what true experts or at least more seasoned people can do.

I can pay for s/h if you can send me some styles I never tried before like Apfelwein, Dunkelweizen, etc. For example I bought Stone IPA this week and didnt really like it. It's too bitter for my taste. I never really dranked IPA's in the best and Stone IPA reminded me the bitterness of Samuel Addams. I am hoping to goto a new store I found - Beer Online from Bierkraft (yea we dont have LHBS in NYC but we got one of the best beer stores) and I will get a few new styles like Saison, Smoked Beer (Rogue Chipotle Ale), Imperial Stout, etc.

I'm gonna start putting up the recipes that you both can expect:

Ordinary Bitter (Northern Brewer Kit) Orange Full Sail Caps. This beer lacks bitterness (ironically) IMO due to the water.
Brewed on 7/18/2008
Bottled on 7/29/2008

OG: 1.039
FG: 1.011
ABV: 3.6%

6lb MO 89%
12oz Crystal 30 11%

The water used for this was very soft but I didn't know it at the time. No salts were added.
single infusion mash 1.25qt/lb no mashout (assume this from now on)
1tbs 5.2 stabilizer (unless otherwise specified)
154*F for 60 min
sparge with 180*F two equal 10 min sparges (assume this from now on)

60min boil
1.5oz EKG 4.5% 60min 27 IBU
0.5oz EKG 4.5% 1min 1 IBU
whirfloc last 15 min
Pitched 11g dry yeast, my notes say notty, I probably didn't rehydrate it.

8 days at 69*F
3 days at 77*F with gelatin
Primed to 1.5 volumes CO2

A bitter is a good example to test for flaws. Any odd flavors or aromas should come through pretty clearly and not be masked by too much bitterness, hop aroma or dark specialty grains.

Good luck on the experiment. Honest feedback from others is the best method for honing your skills.

American Pale Ale (Modified Northern Brewer Kit) Green Star on the Cap. This beer also lacks bitterness IMO due to the water and maybe FWH.
Brewed on 7/25/2008
Bottled on 8/16/2008

OG: 1.042
ABV: 4.0%

7.5lb Rahr 2-row 88%
1lb Belgian Caramel Pils 12%

Same soft water
154*F for 60 min

60min boil
1oz Cascade 6.3% FWH 27(?) IBU
1oz Cascade 6.3% 15min 12 IBU
1oz Cascade 6.3% Dry hop secondary for 5 days
whirfloc last 15 min
Pitched 11g US-05, I probably didn't rehydrate it.

12 days at 69*F
10 days at 77*F with gelatin at day 5
Primed to 2.4 volumes CO2

Witbier (Northern Brewer Kit) Blue "W" on the cap. This beer is damn good and I'm sending my last bottles as a thank you.
Brewed on 8/9/2008
Bottled on 8/23/2008

OG: 1.045
ABV: 4.4%

3.5lb Dingemans Pilsner 44%
3.5lb Weyerman Pale Wheat 44%
1lb Flaked Oats 12%

Same soft water
151*F for 90 min

60min boil
2oz Strisselspalt 2.6% 60 min 20 IBU
0.5oz Bitter Orange Peel 12 min
1oz Cracked Coriander Seed
whirfloc last 10 min
Pitched 1 smack pack of wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier (no starter)

14 days at 68*F

Well, I think I see the issue with the APA. FWH does not replace the bittering charge. You still needed to do a 60 minute addition.

+1. I don't know where the myth started that FWH = only flavor. (I've been seeing this posted here a LOT lately, by a number of different folks!)

Yes, it mimics a 20 minute flavor addition in a number of ways, but it still contributes some bitterness. In IBUs, it's more than 0:60 additions. In flavor perception, it is sometimes less, But it is still bitterness.

I, too, FWH for pretty much everything I brew.

I stand corrected! I've always understood FWH to contribute more significantly to flavor + aroma and less to bittering. It's not a technique I use with any regularity.

:mug:

Pumpkin Ale "P" on the cap. This grain bill was originally just the 2-row, crystal, and munich, but I had leftover crushed half pounds so I threw them in.
Brewed on 8/16/2008
Kegged on 9/23/2008

OG: 1.061
FG: 1.020
ABV: 5.3%

8lb Rahr 2-row 70%
1lb Crystal 80 9%
1lb Munich 20 9%
0.5lb Crystal 10 4%
0.5lb Honey Malt 4%
0.5lb Flaked Wheat

Same soft water
154*F for 60 min

105min boil
45oz Caramelized Canned 100% pumpkin boil 60min
0.625oz Northern Brewer 8.8% 60min 19 IBU
0.25oz McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice 60min
0.25oz McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice 30min
0.5oz McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice 1min
whirfloc last 10 min
Pitched 11g Danstar Windsor yeast (rehydrated)

25 days at 70*F (Fermentation stopped after just a few days and I pitched rehydrated S-04, which appeared to have no effect, but a week later things fired back up producing something strange smelling with the CO2. This faded as I allowed it to off-gas and force carbed. More details here.)
Racked to seconday for 13 days at 77*F
2oz of Maple Extract Added at kegging.
Force Carbed to 2.7 volumes CO2

Honey Rose Blonde Red "Rose" on the cap. This beer is tasty. Unfortunately the rose doesn't come through as much as I'd hoped.
Brewed on 8/16/2008
Bottled on 9/6/2008

OG: 1.055
ABV: 5.7%

6lb Rahr Pale 2-row 64%
0.5lb Crystal 10 5%
0.5lb Honey Malt 5%
0.5lb Flaked Wheat 5%

Same soft water
152*F for 75 min

60min boil
1oz Williamette 5.5% 60 min 20 IBU
whirfloc last 10 min
Pitched 11g rehydrated US-05

21 days at 70*F
2lb Clover Honey added after 5 days in primary.
0.64oz Rose water added at bottling.

Irish Draught Ale(Northern Brewer Kit) "ID" on the cap. This one takes a few sips then I like it pretty well.
Brewed on 8/29/2008
Bottled on 9/23/2008

OG: 1.063
FG: 1.015
ABV: 6.3%

7.5lb MO 79%
0.5lb Crystal 10 5%
0.25lb Chocolate Malt 3%
0.25lb Golden Naked Oats 3%

Same soft water
156*F for 60 min

60min boil
1oz Challenger 6.3% 60 min 22 IBU
whirfloc last 10 min
Pitched 6.5g rehydrated Munton's Brewer's Yeast

25 days at 70*F
1lb Clover Honey added after 5 days in primary.
Force Carb'd to 2.7 volumes CO2

Cream Ale(Northern Brewer Kit) "C" on the cap. Pretty good, but poor aroma IMO.
Brewed on 10/9/2008
Kegged on 10/20/2008

OG: 1.044
FG: 1.009
ABV: 4.5%

7lb Rahr 2-row 88%
0.75lb Honey 9%
0.25lb Biscuit Malt 3%

Same soft water
151*F for 90 min

90min boil
1oz Cluster 7.9% 60 min 31 IBU
whirfloc last 10 min
Pitched 11g rehydrated US-05

7 days at 67*F
4 days at 37*F

Bee Cave IPA "IPA" on the cap. Pucker up. This one is wicked bitter. EDIT: This is improving RAPIDLY. Today it is downright drinkable, almost good. It is still young and I think it is going to come around nicely.
Brewed on 10/20/2008
Kegged on 11/8/2008

OG: 1.071
FG: 1.018
ABV: 6.9%

10lb Rahr 2-row 86%
0.9lb Munich 8%
0.68lb Crystal 60 6%

No 5.2 stabilizer. Water treated as outlined in this post
154*F for 90 min

73min boil
2oz Amarillo 8.2% 73 min 52 IBU
1oz Centennial 8% 15 min 12 IBU
1oz Centennial 8% 5 min 5 IBU
whirfloc last 10 min
Pitched 5 Tbs slurry from cream ale (calculated from Mr Malty)

12 days at 67*F
7 days at 37*F
1oz Centennial Dry hop in keg.

I just pulled a pint of my BC IPA by accident (I really need to mark my taps) and I can't believe how much better it has gotten. This one was what spurred me to start this thread. It's ok though, I'll still deliver. I'm really looking forward to the feedback!

As far as the Bee Cave IPA - It's so YOUNG - 21 days right?!! That's easily most of what was causing the perception of drastic over-bitterness.... For anything that's not a session beer (e.g. 10 day mild) I give it a total of 5 weeks (from brew date) before I even taste it, so that I don't stress myself over symptoms that don't exist.

(That's right ya zealots. I don't even drink my hydro samples (cuz I test hydro right in the bucket). You can make fun of me now, it's ok. :p)

Okay fellas, there is a wit for everyone, and the APA, Bitter, and the Wit have blacked out caps and competition labels as I had packed them for a competition then missed the deadline. The labels should identify them nicely.

Sorry gents, this is getting put on hold. For one thing, I realized that my recent beers other than my IPA (cream ale, irish ale, pumpkin, and the two beers I have in the fermenter) are actually fantastic. I guess I just had really high expectations for the IPA and also some of my changes to my process hadn't made it down the pipeline. My earlier beers were a little lacking but my recent stuff is great. This was confirmed when I had a college football/grilling party this afternoon. My friends even like my pumpkin ale, which I can drink but don't enjoy. The second and more important reason is that they bumped me up a week for the next stage of flight school. I originally was on vacation till the 24th, but now I don't have free time.

I'll still send some samples though because I said I would and I'll still enjoy the feedback. I just can't make any promises on when.

Back