Corny keg ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavlovsdog

Reaction score
Beautiful Mountains of Western North Carolina
So, I converted the Sanyo 4912 with a corny keg and draft tower and am very anxious to fill my keg. Still have a while to wait on my current homebrew, so I was wondering if it would work to fill up the keg with some brew from the local microbrewery while I wait? Would there be any problems with doing that? What should I set the regulator at?

Thanks!!!

Call the brewpub or micro ahead and ask. Once you have one filled, set the regulator to 12 psi. That's what I use. It dispenses beer fine and keeps it at the proper carbonation levels.

Most brewpubs around here will fill a cornie, but they also tend to restrict the hours, so call ahead.

Well, their finished beer is already carbed so it would be a big foamy mess and potentialy oxidize in the process. If you want the ability to tap commercial beer in the future, you might as well pick up a cheap Sanke tap (I have one forsale by the way). You can then get a 1/4 or 1/2 keg of anything you want and either tap it and drink it directly or use it to do closed transfers into your cornies. Whenever someone I know plans on getting a keg for a party, I demand that they let me hook up my Co2 bottle. I use the "you won't have to ever pump the tap to dispense" line. What's in it for me? When the party is over, I come back for my tank and bring a corny. There's usually at least 5 gallons of beer left. Since it wasn't air pumped, it's not skunked.

Bobby_M said:
Well, their finished beer is already carbed so it would be a big foamy mess and potentialy oxidize in the process. If you want the ability to tap commercial beer in the future, you might as well pick up a cheap Sanke tap (I have one forsale by the way). You can then get a 1/4 or 1/2 keg of anything you want and either tap it and drink it directly or use it to do closed transfers into your cornies. Whenever someone I know plans on getting a keg for a party, I demand that they let me hook up my Co2 bottle. I use the "you won't have to ever pump the tap to dispense" line. What's in it for me? When the party is over, I come back for my tank and bring a corny. There's usually at least 5 gallons of beer left. Since it wasn't air pumped, it's not skunked.

Now that is a smart man... :rockin:

pavlovsdog said:
The brewery said they did not have fittings for corny kegs and they were unable to do it. Could they not just fill it up like I would rack it into the keg, and then I could purge it and pressurize it when I got home?

Uncle Billy's Brewpub fills cornies. Their beer is under pressure too, so I took a sanitized corny under pressure to them. They hooked up a ball lock to the Beer out and slowly vented the keg which let beer in. It took a while, but it filled nicely.

They could fill it as they would a growler, but it sounds like they are reluctant to because either they care about the quality of the finished product OR they just don't want to deal with the headache of filling it in a manual fashion.

They have that right, either way.

Bobby_M said:
If you want the ability to tap commercial beer in the future, you might as well pick up a cheap Sanke tap (I have one forsale by the way). You can then get a 1/4 or 1/2 keg of anything you want and either tap it and drink it directly or use it to do closed transfers into your cornies.

My 4912 won't hold a regular sized sankey keg. If I want commercial beer I have to get one of the 5 gallon pony kegs, which kinda limits my selection to Harpoon or Long Trail

Correct, you need 2x 1/4 MFL Tailpieces for the sanke tap. Then you need some 1/2 MFL disconects on the ends of your gas and liquid line AND 1/4 MFL ball locks. Then its just a matter of undoing the nuts on the ball locks and re-attaching the lines to the sanke.

I swear I also saw a sanke tap that you could hook up your ball locks too, but for the life of my I can't find it.

Back