Lace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
I am an all grain brewer, I've never brewed an extract beer. I have used extract because of missed target gravity before. Anyways, I've been brewing for 11 months now and in that time I've never had a brew with good lace. A few brews have it but it is minimal and most of the time no lace at all. Whats the deal? I am going to start on my "project brew rig" until it is done I will be getting into extract brewing. When its done I want to use my equipment and anything I can to perfect my all grain brews. How do I get the Lace? Thanks

My first guess would be that your glasses haven't been rinsed cleanly enough of soap residue. But if you're sure that's not the case, try adding about 3% wheat malt to your grist, that should provide lots of extra protein without changing the flavour a noticeable amount.

First off, are you getting any head on the beer?

A glass at room temp and the proper poor can make all the difference even on a "brewery clean" glass.

Look at the bubbles in the glass after pour. Are they collecting into pockets on the sides? Or are they rising to the surface un-impeded?

Here's a tip for a "brewery clean" glass. Wet the glass and sprinkle copious amounts of table salt onto and into it. Rub the wetted salt around onto every part of the glass and then rinse thoroughly with warm water.

Just be warned. Using the salt on printed glasses can strip the logos off over time.

Back