using fresh ginger root

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwstow

Reaction score
i'm going to make an x-mas ale soon the recipes i'v seen use ground ginger and id like to use fresh ginger , how much fresh ginger would i use per tbs of ground ?
thanks don

Grate it an add very little. I used a single oz in a 5.25 gal batch and it completely took over the beer. I would say 1/4 - 1/2 ounce at most.

In cooking at least, they aren't interchangeable. Ground ginger has a different taste than fresh, and I think the ground will do a lot better in a recipe.

I ran 11.8 oz of fresh* ginger root through my food processor and added it for the last 5 minutes of the boil on a 5 gallon batch. The ginger was pretty aggressive during fermentation and when I kegged. It mellowed considerably after carbonation and, IMO came out very well balanced. It's great with a squeeze of lemon.

* "Fresh" may be relative. I There's no telling how long that stuff was sitting out at the grocer. I've gotten wildly varying intensities of flavor from the stuff locally available and I shot high on purpose. Also, very little ginger got into the fermenter.

however, I used the nifty search feature and found that about 1/8lb to maybe 1/4lb would work. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/how-much-fresh-ginger-134007/

Certainly your lbs are supposed to be ounces, I'd think. Not trying to slam ya or anything, I'm sorry. That didn't come off very friendly.

Typing is not really a great way to communicate with a good deal of tone/attitude.

Here goes:
I think maybe you mean ounces instead of pounds? I've used about a half an ounce in a five gallon batch and found the flavor to be really assertive. I think putting in a half a pound would be very, very strong.:D

I used half a pound of fresh ginger in a 5 gallon batch and it came out very nicely. It was a big hit with everyone who tried it. There was no mistaking the ginger, of course, but that's what I wanted. If i make it again, I will probably add even more ginger.

I have made lots of beers with fresh ginger ales,porters,stouts all I have used 4-8 OZs of fresh ginger in all of them some it has been strong others not so much

For those who've used it,
Do you put it in during the boil, primary or secondary?
And how do you prepare it, shredding, thin slices, thick slices?

For those who've used it,
Do you put it in during the boil, primary or secondary?
And how do you prepare it, shredding, thin slices, thick slices?

you grate it and then you can put it in at the start of your boil up to the end of the boil I have never put any in the primary or secondary

I grated/shredded it basically treated it like hops, so most was in the boil, some was in secondary. I did three boil additions (2oz each at 60, 20, 10 mins) and 2 oz in secondary.

I grated/shredded it basically treated it like hops, so most was in the boil, some was in secondary. I did three boil additions (2oz each at 60, 20, 10 mins) and 2 oz in secondary.

did you do anything to the ginger when you put it in the secondary?

I just treated it as if I was dry hopping with it. Put it in a bag with a marble (for weight) and a piece of string thru the stopper so I could retrieve it.

Added 1oz of fresh grated ginger root at end of boil and right on into the 2ndary.
Took 3-4 months for it to mellow to where it should be. Id go no more than 1/2 oz

Back