$10 primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
I mentioned this on another thread and thought I'd post a photo since I just started a new wine day before yesterday. This is a 7-8 gallon plastic trash pail like they sell at any discount store. I think I paid $10 for it and I've been using it for three years. I drilled a 1" hole and added a spigot. The shape is convenient and you can't beat the price. The second photo shows active fermentation in a 16L wine kit and a straining bag floating on top (I punch the bag down twice a day).

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

What is the plastic recycle code number for the container?

Also, is that a plastic, or cloth, liner between the juice and the container?

If it is plastic, doesn't it defeat the spigot?

Pogo

I looked at the code when I bought it but I don't remember. I know it isn't food grade but it's the same code they use for 5-gallon paint pails from Home Depot. There is no lining - just the trash can. I'm covering it with a t-shirt and there's a straining bag inside.

Yknow, I read all this stuff about food grade this, and that and sterilization and what not and here you are obviously making lots of wine with garbage can, t-shirt, and a bungee cord.

Am I being overly cautious or what?

The numeric codes on many plastic items are used to help sort post-consumer plastics for recycling purposes. Different types of plastics are sometimes referred to as “resins” and the numeric symbols are known as “Resin ID Codes.” Each number (1 through 6) signifies a specific type of plastic and usually appears inside a small triangle (often formed by three adjoining arrows) imprinted on the bottom of a plastic item. The number “7” is used to represent a group of other plastics or combinations of plastics.

Resin ID codes are not intended to provide guidance on the safe or appropriate use of any plastic item.

So does it go from here to a carboy when its done fermenting?

Or how long does it sit in the garbage can?

The "garbage can" isn't an ideal primary fermentation vessel and it's one of about 7-8 pails and other primaries I own. I use it because of its slightly larger size and it works well for the purpose.

There is no hard and fast rule for primary fermentation. You need to use a hydrometer and when it reaches somewhere around 1.00 then that's when you rack. It usually takes a week, plus or minus a day or so. Then you rack to a carboy, making sure its topped up, and place an air lock on the carboy. This process usually lasts 10 days to two weeks. After that, rack again for bulk aging.

Yeah, obviously not ideal, but you have been using one for 3 years.

I want to try the crushendo kits, but my fermenting bucket is not big enough for the kit so I would need to buy something to accomadate for the extra space. I am not certain but I think you lose the extra need for space right after primary fermentation and I could then go to a standard carboy.

I want to try the crushendo kits, but my fermenting bucket is not big enough for the kit so I would need to buy something to accomadate for the extra space. I am not certain but I think you lose the extra need for space right after primary fermentation and I could then go to a standard carboy.

You'll definitely need the extra headspace for a crushendo kit. If you can find a 10-gallon primary then that would be ideal. Eight gallons would likely be enough but you'll have to keep an eye on it and even perhaps place the primary in a tub or someplace where a small overflow wouldn't hurt anything. A tall kitchen trash can like this should work for you and then, as you say, rack to a standard 6-gallon primary at day 7, or whatever the directions advise.

Back