Should I add Maltodextrin during fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo_wire

Reaction score
I have a couple of GF brews under my belt, and last week I started one. In the past I've added maltodextrin but am not totally sure what it has meant for the final product. I forgot about it during this brew, but is that something that I need and could add now? Just dissolve some into some water, cool and pitch?

The beer was brewed last Wednesday, and active fermentation seems to have already subsided, but I'm in no rush and will let it sit for another 2 1/2 weeks.

Recipe:

2.5 gal batch, 1.050 OG.
Target 28.6 IBU, 4.9% abv.

1/2 lb Sorghum syrup
2 1/2 lb Sorghum syrup (late add)
1/2 lb honey (late add)

0.3 oz Simcoe (20 min)
0.5 oz Saaz (5 min)
0.5 oz Saaz (1 min)

1 tbsp Yeast Nutrient (5 min)
1 tbsp crushed Coriander Seed/Grains of Paradise (5 min)

S-04 Yeast

Thanks!

Maltoxdextrin is supposed to add body to you beer, and I use it in most of mine.

It can be added at any stage (boil, primary, secondary, bottling) and that is probably how I would do it at this point. Boil up a little bit of water to sterilize it, cool it, add the maltodextrin and add it to the fermenter.

Yeah, I've had to triage a beer in mid-fermentation before due to forgetting things in the boil. Just make sure to use the minimal amount of water necessary to dissolve, so as not to dilute the beer too much. And take care to minimize splashing.

Back