grain bill mistake, is this a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorgonzo79

Reaction score
Hello,
getting prepped to brew this and took a look at the grain bill printout from the brew shop one of the specialty grains is way more than i ordered.

as follows: 8# crisp pale ale - 1#9oz caramel pils SHOULD HAVE BEEN 4oz! - caramel 60 1# - 1# cane sugar for drying effect (i like really dry beer)

is this a big issue? I am going to brew it anyway of course but should i make any adjustments to the mash. extra beta rest time etc.

any advice welcome. btw starting in 30mins or so :)

Northern Brewer Quote...

6° L. A very pale caramel malt. Contributes a subtle caramel flavor. The malting process creates a 'floury' endosperm that will yield fermentable sugars when mashed with base malts. Steep Caramel Pils in quantities under a pound to add a light caramel flavor, but mash it with other grains for the full effect. Additional InformationMalt Type Caramel
Color Light (0-15° L)

If all the grains are not mixed together, you could reduce the caramel pils...if not go for it!

thanks much for the info!
it is mixed and i am heating the strike H2O now. caramel pale ale it is!
cheers

Looks like it would have alot more body then you were going for, so might not be as dry as you wanted. Is there anything else in it?

The head will hold up very well. Thats more nonfermentables than needed but what the hell. It will prob turn out greaat.

well its fermenting away. O.G 1.062- and i expect to finish around 1.014- 1.010 give or take.
I've decided it's closer to an amber ale than pale ale.
Should be tasty all things considered:)

other ingredients:
2oz centennial hop and 2oz palisades, 10g coriander, and some yeast nutrient.
1 package Danstar Nottingham ale yeast

Back