First all grain - vigorous fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorderBrewin

Reaction score
I just brewed my first all grain beer yesterday and thanks to everyone on this forum it was a rousing success. I nailed my OG and my efficiency was above 75%, which I think is pretty good considering my humble equipment. I have noticed a distinct difference in the, for lack of a better term, intensity of the fermentation. This is only my third batch ever, the first two being extract kits, and I have never seen fermentation like this. The blow of tube started bubbling about 2-3 hours after I pitched the yeast and this morning it is bubbling like crazy. Has any else seen a difference in the way all grain ferments in comparison to extract brews? I am guessing it is because there are more fermentables in the wort. Thanks again to everyone on HBT!

I'm never going back to extract!!

It is more likely to do with the yeast strain than the amount of fermentables. AG does not make more fermentables than extract, unless you plan it that way. The OG is directly correlated with fermentable sugars, so if you had a higher OG for this brew than your first two, your statement would be correct.

I'm using Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast, no starter, just pitched from the smack pack. My OG was 1.048, about the same as my two previous brews. Anyone have similar results?

Is is possible that you were doing partial boils before, and now a full boil, and your pitching temperature is higher?

No, I have it in the fermentation chiller at a constant 63 degrees air temperature and 68 degrees in the fermentor. I pitched the yeast a 72 degrees. I'm not worried; in fact I'm very pleased to see this kind of activity so quickly.

I just brewed my first all grain beer yesterday and thanks to everyone on this forum it was a rousing success. I nailed my OG and my efficiency was above 75%, which I think is pretty good considering my humble equipment. I have noticed a distinct difference in the, for lack of a better term, intensity of the fermentation. This is only my third batch ever, the first two being extract kits, and I have never seen fermentation like this. The blow of tube started bubbling about 2-3 hours after I pitched the yeast and this morning it is bubbling like crazy. Has any else seen a difference in the way all grain ferments in comparison to extract brews? I am guessing it is because there are more fermentables in the wort. Thanks again to everyone on HBT!

I'm never going back to extract!!

I just recently did my second all grain and noticed the same thing..I know it wasn't because of AG, but I had vigorous activity the next morning. Whenever I did extract batches it would usually take a day and a half.

Fermentable sugar is fermentable sugar, the yeast doesn't care whether it was extract or grains. Something else in the brewing process caused the fermentation activity change from usual.

I can't imagine why there would be any difference. Are you fermenting warmer?

I have had the same thing lately too. Both of my all grains take off in about 12 hours or less when my extracts would take 36 hours. I have used the same yeasts and things. I wonder if it is the full boils? That's about the only thing that I have dramatically changed. Or maybe in the colder months the temperature become optimal faster?

The next thing you know people are going to claim AG brewing reverses hair loss, cures ED, and is the solution to the economic crisis. :rolleyes:

Funny, I was just reading a book last night called "Secrets of the Master Brewers" (Highly recommended). One of the comments in the book was that the Wort from All Grain Mashes generally start fermenting much faster because the Wort is fresh and contains much higher yeast nutrients.

Yeah, there may be something too it as I have experienced the same thing. I didn't have to use a blowoff tube until I switched to AG - I attributed it to doing full boils and using a wort chiller though.

The all grain I did yesterday started bubbling in 3 hours and really rolling after I woke up this morning! Just 4.5 gallons of 1.046 beer, 1 packet of safale-05, and 3 teaspoons of some generic yeast nutrient.

Back