I think they mis-spelled Rheem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
The smoke alarm went off at 3:31 a.m. this morning. Something in the indoor unit for the heat pump toasted itself, again. Plenum was hot, so I opened the breakers. Two and a half years, two burnouts, three more mysterious failures that cleared without any clue. Last week it was spewing 43F air for no reason (maybe it was on a defrost cycle, but the resistive heaters are supposed to have been fixed!).

Paid top dollar for the blasted thing and it's been a total PITA!

And I can't get the freaking state to give me the "green" kickbacks, which really adds insult to injury.

[End of rant. I feel better, but it's still cold in here.]

I have an open loop ground source heat pump. It's been running for about 14 years and the blower motor finally went. Other than that, no problems at all. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I bought Florida Heat Pump. Terrible customer service, but reliable units.

It's the blower motor. Totally fried. The repair guy says the warehouse never has motors in stock, so I'm looking at a couple weeks. I hope the freezes are over. As long as it's over 40F, I can keep the house warm with a space heater. It justs runs all night.

The old electric resistive furnace was probably 35 years old and still worked fine when it was pulled.

David, don't go to the Rheem guys for your motor. They'll mark up the hell out of it. Go to any HVAC shop and bring your old unit. Chances are they'll have one that will fit. All you need is the RPM, CFM, voltage and amperage rating. That information is usually stamped right on the motor. I strongly doubt Rheem makes blower motors. There's a few major manufaturers of these things and most shops either stock them or can tell you where to get one if you're in a bind. That's what I did and it worked very well.

Back