Optimum post bottling conditions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riles8148

Reaction score
What is the best conditions post bottling? Right now I store them in my laundry room which is a temp range of 60-69 degrees with no natural sunlight...I used to keep it in my crawl space which was much darker and a temp range of 59-66 degrees. I switched them because of convenience....will this change affect my beer? And what is the optimum conditions for post bottling?

Ri
|_|>

"70 degrees for three weeks" is the mantra. The correct answer is, "It depends."

The cooler they are, the longer it will take.

The cooler it is, the longer it may take to completely carb, but like frazier said: it depends.

I worried a lot about bottle conditioning temps at first because during the summer, even in my downstairs closet where I keep the beer, it gets pretty darned hot. I wouldn't be surprised if it reaches 80-90 degrees in there. Even during the cooler parts of summer, I'm probably lucky to have it around 70-80 degrees.

I haven't had any bottle bombs, nor have I experienced any off flavors or uneven carbonation or anything like that. I think bottle conditioning temps are probably more forgiving than fermentation temps.

One things I make sure to do however is consider the temperature they condition at when I calculate the volumes of co2 I want, so I get the appropriate amount of priming sugar. In other words, I may have different amounts of priming sugar to carb the same beer in summer versus winter.

Back