I'm moving... growing hops in pots feasible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I'm moving in June/July, but am interested in growing some hops. Would it be feasible to get a container and plant the rhizome, and hope it doesn't get too crazy tall before we move? We'll likely move less than 4 miles. I'd rather not grow something, and then kill it before I can harvest. Anyone have experience with this?

Oh Oh pick me pick me I can answer this one!

Because you are in Colorado your vegative growth will be wrapping it up at the Solstice. Which means by Telluride Bluegrass your hops will have committed most of what they can to growing the bines and leaves and they they are getting ready to burr and cone and begin their productive life.

So it will be as fun as moving a reproductive teenage girl away from her boyfriend. They will hate you! But they will live to produce again! So you can try moving the 20 foot bines and plan on harvesting next year.

Consider next year and plan to come pick out in Montrose in Sept-- Blues and Brews time!

Good luck
<A>

I've grown a few plants that were in pots last year. No real cone develpment for first year. Maybe too hot where I'm at or something. You can start out using a 3-5 gallon pot and make sure you keep it watered. First year hops will do fine in a pot until you get settled. Search the web to find out more about hop rhizome planting and care. Here's a website that might be helpful: http://oregonhops.org/culture2.html

I'm moving in June/July, but am interested in growing some hops. Would it be feasible to get a container and plant the rhizome, and hope it doesn't get too crazy tall before we move? We'll likely move less than 4 miles. I'd rather not grow something, and then kill it before I can harvest. Anyone have experience with this?
I would try planting rhizomes in an earth box. You could build one cheap and easy from a couple of Home Depot buckets or a couple of plastic moving boxes (google it, it's easy and it works great).
I now you can re-plant hops pretty easy, I moved one a year ago and it did good in a new place.
Good luck, bro!

I am moving in June as well. i plan on starting my rhizomes out in pots and then transplanting them when I move. However, being in canada they won't get planted until sometime in April/May as that is when they are being shipped to me. Hopefully (or HOPfully) they won't be too much of a pain to move. My thinking is that I won't get much of a harvest this year but I would like to get them started anyway.

Latest posts

Back