Thank you, this community is awesome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Thanks to this community I can brew as well as I can. Not that I don't mistakes like the following.

I over batch sparged. The details are not important but I ended up boiling 7 gal for a 5 gal batch. After boiling I ended up with a 6 gal batch.

Here is my question: The OG is 1.074 on a 6 gal batch but should have been 1.100 for a 5 gal batch. Anyone know what the OG would have been if it had been a 5 gal batch?

Have heard a cold break only happens if the wort is cooled rapidly. How rapid does cooling have to be to get the cold break? I cooled 6 gal from 212 to 70 in 15 min with a IC.

Thanks

too drunk to answer first question, cold break/hot break are what happens when the proteins/sugars/other crap in the wort start to break down and you no longer have the imminent danger of a boil over.

1.088-1.089 - close; but you have to keep in mind that efficiency tends to go down as you push gravity for a given volume. You can only get so much sugar into solution in a given volume of mash liquor. And - if you have a higher gravity but only sparge to get your volume, you may not collect enough sugar.

Back