Which one gets the bigger carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
OK, it looks like I am going to have to push up one of my brew days to get all of the beer I want on hand for the holidays (yeah, should have started sooner, blah, blah blah...) I have two carboys - one is 6 gallons and one is 5 gallons. I am going to be brewing a stout with a 13# grain bill and an IPA with a 16.5# grain bill.

So the question is, which one will produce the biggest Kroisen?

Can't really say without knowing the grains/mash schedule/etc. As a general rule I don't do primary fermentation in a 5 gal unless its a lager/cider/wine. Safest bet for my view is to do the stout, and next week move it to the 5 and do the IPA

Are you thinking about doing a 5g primary in a 5g carboy? There are pictures of what happens when you do that... and it's a mess. It doesn't matter how much Krausen is produced... if it's anything it will over flow. If you can get to a home depot or something, get a 6.5 food safe plastic bucket. Also you can do 3.5g batches and a 4.5g batch in each one.

I was thinking along those lines. Normally I don't do a secondary but maybe this time it would be the right thing to do just to give me the 6 gallon for both primary fermentations.

Back