German Wheat Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffStewart

Reaction score
I'm doing a BIAB so I've decided to do a all wheat stout with German ingredients, and was wondering if this would be too much flaked wheat?
Any other inputs are welcome.

Wheat Malt, German - 73%
Wheat, Flaked - 14%
Wheat, Roasted - 13%

Hallertauer @ 60
Hallertauer @ 30
Total IBU: 34
German Ale Yeast, Wyeast 1007

Just because you're doing a BIAB doesn't mean you're immune to a stuck (or incredibly slow) runoff. You still have to get the wort out of the bag somehow.

With that much wheat malt, I wouldn't use any flaked wheat at all, and I would use rice hulls.

I wouldn't experience a drop in mouthfeel if I removed the flaked wheat? And how much rice hulls? Around 3-4%?

For what you're doing, I don't think the flaked wheat is that important. I frequently use 60-70% wheat malt in beers, and haven't noticed any difference in mouthfeel between those and beers I previously brewed with flaked wheat. I prefer wheat malt, both in terms of ease-of-use and the finished product, but I'm sure others may disagree. Your mileage may vary, etc.

As for the rice hulls, I don't actually measure them. They weigh basically nothing. I buy a pound or two at a time, and just add a few cups until it looks good. I'd guess maybe 1/4 lb would be more than you'd need, for a 5gal batch.

Also something to keep in mind, I generally get 5-10% lower efficiency using large amounts of wheat, but I think that's just a milling issue. Wheat is a pain to mill.

OK, thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get the final product to dry out real nice to produce a nice creamy dry stout.

I've never heard of an all-wheat stout so I won't comment on the recipe. BUT, as for rice hulls, add a full pound. You're going to have a metric $h!t ton (very scientific term, dont you think?) of oatmeal in a bag. You will need as much filtration as possible to extract any sugars. Rice hulls are cheap and will make a big difference with that much mush.

Cimirie is probably right. I've only used rice hulls in conjunction with 30% barley, so without any barley husks you'd probably want a lot of rice hulls.

I'd also do a stepped mash, with a beta-glucan rest for 10-15min (or until it thins out, whichever comes first) to reduce the gumminess.

Do you have a detailed malt analysis sheet for your wheat malt? For any malt you'll ever use: if the total protein is under 12% and the soluble nitrogen ratio is 36-42% you could do a single infusion. If the total protein is over 12% and/or the soluble nitrogen ratio is under 36%, then I would do a beta glucan / protein rest.

I have American red wheat on hand that is 15.24% and 34.12%, respectively, so my malt benefits from a low temp rest. I don't know exactly what your malt is, but I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were similar.

source: Noonan http://brewingtechniques.com/bmg/noonan.html

Back