Am I just really bad at math?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterBungle

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been lurking for the last month or so and just bottled my 2nd batch, which I was expecting to be a relatively hoppy pale ale. Upon tasting it, it wasn't nearly as bitter as I expected it to be with almost no hop aroma.

The good news is that the beer tastes pretty good, it just wasn't what I was going for and I was hoping to get imput from those more experienced as to where my recipe went wrong.

The recipe was pretty simple: 3 gal boil
6lbs Pale DME
0.5lbs Crystal 60 steeped for 30mins at 160degF
0.75oz Nugget 13% for 60mins
1oz Cascade 6% for 30mins
1oz Fuggle 3.5% for 15mins

It spent 3 weeks in primary and then I racked and bottled. I never got an accurate OG reading because it was too foamy and FG was around 1.016.

The only big mistake may have been coming up short on top off water... could this be it?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldn't say your math is bad, it looks ok to me. Was your beer fully carbonated when tasted, perceived bitterness can increase with carbonation.

As for hop aroma, alot of that is carried out by the c02 gasses during fermentation, you should try dry hopping if you want more aroma in the finished product. Just wait for the main fermentation process to end then dry hop maybe another 1oz of cascade and you should find the results very pleasing.

Your recipe doesn't really have any aroma hops (<15 min additions). As far as bitterness, Tinseth puts your IBU at 40, which is about right for an APA. I think you just need more late hops for flavor and aroma. Moving the 30 min addition closer to the end of the boil would be a good start. 2.75 oz is a pretty small amount for the style, especially with a concentrated boil (assuming this is a 5 gal batch).

In 5.0 gal, your OG was 1.054, BTW.

No, it was completely flat, right out of the fermentor. That is what had me worried, I remember the bitterness of my last beer mellowing with age, so I was worried that since this one started so much less bitter than I expected that it would move more and more to the malty side.

I'm not the most organized person in the world and ended up recalculating the hop additions at the last minute because I realized I added 0.5bls more DME than I had originally calculated for, but I expected IBUs in the low 40s.

I guess I'll see how it is in a few weeks and try the same recipe and dry hop next time.

Thank you for your input!

The closer you get to flameout, the more aroma you'll get. The flameout aroma is more modest than a dry-hop aroma. The 30 and 15 minute additions are more of a flavor contribution.

a10t2 is correct about IBU for the APA style... If you want something hoppier, try a hoppier style. Perhaps an AIPA?

Carbonation and conditioning go a long way in a beer's final taste, including hoppiness, taste, aroma, etc. The CO2 lifts the flavors...

Read this;

Singljohn hit the nail on the head...The only problem is that you aren't seeing the beer through it's complete process BEFORE calling what is probably just green beer, an off flavor.

It sounds like you are tasting it in the fermenter? If that is the case, do nothing. Because nothing is wrong.

It really is hard to judge a beer until it's been about 6 weeks in the bottle. Just because you taste (or smell) something in primary or secondary DOESN'T mean it will be there when the beer is fully conditioned (that's also the case with kegging too.)

The thing to remember though is that if you are smelling or tasting this during fermentation not to worry. During fermentation all manner of stinky stuff is given off (ask lager brewers about rotten egg/sulphur smells, or Apfelwein makers about "rhino farts,") like we often say, fermentation is often ugly AND stinky and PERFECTLY NORMAL.

It's really only down the line, AFTER the beer has been fermented (and often after it has bottle conditioned even,) that you concern yourself with any flavor issues if they are still there.

I think too many new brewers focus to much on this stuff too early in the beer's journey. And they panic unnecessarily.

A lot of the stuff you smell/taste initially more than likely ends up disappearing either during a long primary/primary & secondary combo, Diacetyl rests and even during bottle conditioning.

If I find a flavor/smell, I usually wait til it's been in the bottle 6 weeks before I try to "diagnose" what went wrong, that way I am sure the beer has passed any window of greenness.

Lagering is a prime example of this. Lager yeast are prone to the production of a lot of byproducts, the most familiar one is sulphur compounds (rhino farts) but in the dark cold of the lagering process, which is at the minimum of a month (I think many homebrewers don't lager long enough) the yeast slowly consumes all those compounds which results in extremely clean tasting beers if done skillfully.

Ales have their own version of this, but it's all the same. Time is your friend.

If you are sampling your beer before you have passed a 'window of greeness" which my experience is about 3-6 weeks in the bottle, then you are more than likely just experiencing an "off flavor" due to the presence of those byproducts (that's what we mean when we say the beer is "green" it's still young and unconditioned.) but once the process is done, over 90% of the time the flavors/smells are gone.

Of the remaining 10%, half of those may still be salvageable through the long time storage that I mention in the Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer:

And the remaining 50% of the last 10% are where these tables and lists come into play. To understand what you did wrong, so you can avoid it in the future.

Long story short....I betcha that smell/flavor will be long gone when the beer is carbed and conditioned.

In other words, relax, your beer will be just fine, like 99.5%.

You can find more info on that in here;

Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Just remember it will not be the same beer it is now, and you shouldn't stress what you are tasting right now.

Our beer is more resilient then most new brewers realize, and time can be a big healer. Just read the stories in this thread of mine, and see how many times a beer that someone thought was bad, turned out to be fine weeks later.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

I would just relax, get the beer carbed and conditioned, and then see if you truly have an issue.

Your recipe doesn't really have any aroma hops (<15 min additions). As far as bitterness, Tinseth puts your IBU at 40, which is about right for an APA. I think you just need more late hops for flavor and aroma. Moving the 30 min addition closer to the end of the boil would be a good start. 2.75 oz is a pretty small amount for the style, especially with a concentrated boil (assuming this is a 5 gal batch).

In 5.0 gal, your OG was 1.054, BTW.

Hmm, I guess it is possible that the lack of aroma is making it harder to discern the bitterness. I often have a hard time separating the two. I will take your advice on my next attempt. Thanks!

Carbonation and conditioning go a long way in a beer's final taste, including hoppiness, taste, aroma, etc. The CO2 lifts the flavors...

Read this;

I would just relax, get the beer carbed and conditioned, and then see if you truly have an issue.

Patience is a virtue, but it isn't easy. I guess I'll keep myself busy planning the next brew...

Thanks

Partial boil can also be the culprit. You get less hop utilization when doing partial boils. If you use brewing software, make sure you accurately enter your batch size and boil volumes to get a more accurate calculated IBU.

Oops! Didn't see this! +1

So is it more a function of AA% or volume? I usually calculate backwards, ie shoot for a certain IBU level and then adjust the amount of hops to fit it. Should I be looking at it differently? Should I be using larger amounts? and if so should I do so just for the flavoring/aroma hops or the bittering hops too?

AA% and duration of boil time are the largest influences. Other factors are the gravity of the wort and boil volume. I'd recommend using brewing software or at least running the recipe through something that's available online for free... I use Beersmith at home or tinker with http://www.hopville.com if I'm not on my home PC.

As for the effects... the longer the boil, the more bittering effects. Mid-boil additions are flavor. Late additions are mellow aroma contributions. Dry hopping is an aggressive aroma addition.

For example,
- if you wanted to have a very bitter beer with little to no hop flavor/aroma, add a higher AA% hop for the 60 minute boil.
- if you wanted a beer with good bitterness and good flavor with little to no aroma, add hops at 60 minutes and 30 minutes.
- if you want good bitterness, good flavor and a mild aroma, add at 60, 30 and flameout.
- if you want good bitterness, good flavor and strong aroma, add at 60, 30, flameout and dry hop for 10 days after your fermentation slows.

Remember, those are just examples... Experiment with your additions to see what you like!

Back