Nanobrewery Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
How many of you have heard of this? From what I can gather on the TTB site and my state's site (Michigan) is that I do not have to have a commercial site to do this if I want to get my permit/license. I can keg and distribute through wholesalers. Any feedback on that?

Also, since it appears from many other articles I have read, that this is basically licensed, higher volume home brewing, that you are on your own site. Is there any health department issues that I need to be aware of or not until a larger site with a "tasting room" is set up? Any zoning issues either?

My understanding of MI law regarding consumables is that it has to be produced in a kitchen that is not in your home. My MIL used to own a bakery that she operated out of her garage. Her garage was inspected and certified and she was subject to periodic inspections by the health dept. This was obviously not a nanobrewery, but a similar business nonetheless. Zoning issues you would have to take up with your township office, as they may have stricter regs than the state.

I have tried contacting the Michigan Liquor Control agency, inquiring about my limits as a homebrewer... Never got a response. You may be able to serve on premise with a nanobrewery license. The above post seems right.

Thanks! I know it explicitely states for microdistilling you have to have a separate location that is not a "dwelling" but did not find that statement for brewing. Seems like other states allow it from your home. No wonder why this state is so screwed up!

Also if your going to sell your beerl you need to contact ATF and get the feds involved. Which I know requires a Bond equal to a years worth of taxes and I'm sure they have there own permitting process.

I'm gonna suggest you call a lawyer on this one.
Also probrewer.com should have some helpful info.

I don't know about your specific state laws but the TTB requires that you have a non connected building to run your brewery in and you are required to get a license from them.
They require a $1,000 tax bond plus you have to be following all state laws. Out of your residential property that will probably require getting special zoning permission from your local Zoning department, pay your state brewery license and whatever your state tax bond is. In TN the state tax bond is $20,000. And it will take months of planning and prep to get your TTB license and you will have to pay taxes quarterly on what you sell.

I'm not a lawyer and you will want to read up and check with TTB for your exact needs.

Ok, so I want to get some homebrew buddies together to open a NB. Myu wife is tying to do everything to discourage me by saying, "others have been doing this for years bfore opening a NB, and u can't just clone other beers and gotta come up w/that something special, like Bells did w/Oberon!". While I agree w/her to some extent, I don't think you have to be a certified brewmaster or doing this for years, as long as you have the determination, the passion & you make good beer, in which she agrees I do! I have also read both sides of the argument too.

I personally cannot find 10 recipes of any type of beer that has similar recipes. You can put 10 different stouts or any beer infront of me & I cannot tell you any major differences between them to make me go to one NB over another. To me its about good hand crafted beer and the local environment in which I want to provide. I think she is making excuses due to all the time sacrifices I will have to make!

Thoughts?

Ok, so I want to get some homebrew buddies together to open a NB. Myu wife is tying to do everything to discourage me by saying, "others have been doing this for years bfore opening a NB, and u can't just clone other beers and gotta come up w/that something special, like Bells did w/Oberon!". While I agree w/her to some extent, I don't think you have to be a certified brewmaster or doing this for years, as long as you have the determination, the passion & you make good beer, in which she agrees I do! I have also read both sides of the argument too.

I personally cannot find 10 recipes of any type of beer that has similar recipes. You can put 10 different stouts or any beer infront of me & I cannot tell you any major differences between them to make me go to one NB over another. To me its about good hand crafted beer and the local environment in which I want to provide. I think she is making excuses due to all the time sacrifices I will have to make!

Thoughts?

I do know that you have to get recipe approval by the TTB for each beer you want to produce. I doubt they are checking them against others in that style for similarities...

Opening a brewery is a difficult process. A friend of mine opened one last year and has done very well (they went from five 30 bbl fermentors to fourteen in one year already). It has not been a simple process though and it was very tough on his family. His wife and my wife are good friends so I get to hear it from both sides as well.

I do not doubt it is difficult to start one & the challenges on family life. I do not intend to copy any recipe. It may be similar in ingredients. I am already taking recipes I have found, made, & altering to my personal liking & tastes. Thanks for your personal input. Would love to hear more from your friend on his experiences if he would share.

Back