$20 SS kegs - will this work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BendBrewer

Reaction score
Just noticed 3 of these for sale and was wondering if they would work as keggles. Side bung hole?

3k03m83l15O15V45Q2aad302ee0d83177191d.jpg

You could seal up the hole and then have an odd shaped keggle. I'd skip it and wait for something better. Probably why they have 3 for sale!

They would work. Just have to get the bung welded up. You would also need to put handes on it somehow. Gate handles welded or screwed on would do.

I had one, but sold it because that just seemed like a little more work than I wanted to go through.

I think that's called a firkin. Basically, it's a stainless cask - perfect for 'real ales' and genuine draught beers. It's probably only 9 gallons fluid capacity, and mine are double-walled - so it would make for a poor kettle.

I'd be much more tempted to use them for serving vessels, or fermentors.

Yeah I was thinking maybe as a fermenter. Seller claims he used them for making wine.

And they are 15 gallons. Maybe it's time to crush some grapes.

Would be good for fermenting. Build a little rack to hold them on the sides and just put a stopped in the bung.

That's what I would have done with mine, if I had the space for racks of sideways kegs. I THINK the guy I sold mine to was going to do that. But I didn't hear back from him.

Back