Roasted barley in Dry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexey

Reaction score
Hi, I've done several stouts with my DIY roasted barley (I used pearl barley).
But I'm not shure if i need to do cereal mesh for ROASTED barley.
Or i can just throw it in my mash?

I found some threads about roasting your own unmalted barley, but i don't know how exacly should it look like.
When i roast, some of grains are slightly pale and acrid and harsh to taste, but most of them are realy well roasted (olmost like charcoal incide) and have realy nice smooth taste (when i chew them).
Should I roast them to that (near) charcol condition, or not?
(I don't let them roast to go foam on account of overroasting, of course!)

It's not so easy to get commercial roasted barley in my "evil empire", so i can't compare it to my barley side by side...

But my last stout has a realy smooth taste with only little biter aftertaste (35IBU'S) - Drad's Dry Stout Recipe + 100g soured malt...
I wonder if it's too smooth in malt bitter...It's not mutch bitter than cocacolla :fro: but just a little bitter aftertaste. Is it allright for guiness clone?
Yes' I mashed 70-68C (It wat wrecking) so it's not so dry, as supposed to be.
(In my country Guiness tastes like ****, that's the reason I'm asking about it)

P.S. sorry my poor english :D

Hi, I've done several stouts with my DIY roasted barley (I used pearl barley).
But I'm not shure if i need to do cereal mesh for ROASTED barley.
Or i can just throw it in my mash?

I found some threads about roasting your own unmalted barley, but i don't know how exacly should it look like.
When i roast, some of grains are slightly pale (incide) and acrid and harsh to taste, but most of them are realy well roasted (olmost like charcoal incide) and have realy nice smooth taste (when i chew them).
Should I roast them to that (near) charcol condition, or not?
(I don't let them roast to go foam on account of overroasting, of course!)

It's not so easy to get commercial roasted barley in my "evil empire", so i can't compare it to my barley side by side...

But my last stout has a realy smooth taste with only little biter aftertaste (35IBU'S) - Drad's Dry Stout Recipe + 100g soured malt...
I wonder if it's too smooth in malt bitter...It's not mutch bitter than cocacolla :fro: but just a little bitter aftertaste.
Yes' I mashed 70-68C (temerature wat wrecking a little bit) so it's not so dry, as supposed to be.
Is it allright for guiness clone?
(In my country Guiness tastes like ****, that's the reason I'm asking about it)

Sorry for large post, but main question - is I toast my barley right?

P.S. sorry my poor english :D

Sounds about right. You probably want to put the roasted grain in a paper bag for 2 to 3 weeks to let some of the harsh flavor go away before you use them.

Back