Spartan Brand Whole Milk success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIrocZ-28

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop in and post about the success I had last night with Spartan Whole milk last night. From what I understand its a regional distributor, and the jugs say they are bottled in my home town. Anyway, I went for broke last night, got 4 gallons, some CaCl, and the rest of the kit to make some Cheddar.

Added 1/2 tsp of CaCl to 4 gallons of milk, and the Mesophilic starter, waited the prescribed time, and then hit it with the rennet. After 45 minutes I had a 4 gallon gelatinous mass in my pot.

So, anyone who has this brand of milk on the shelf, it works well so long as you add CaCl.

Tried again last night with the same brand of milk, it worked perfectly. I added a "little bit" extra CaCl this time and noticed the initial whole curd was slightly more gelatinous in the pot. I got a VERY clean break after only 45 minutes of waiting.

Back