Cloudy beer help - S-04 not floc'ing or chill haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
I have an IPA in the keg at the moment and it is cloudy as hell. During brewing I chilled it down quickly (15 mins to get in under 70°F). It has been in the keg conditioning (keg primed not force carb'd) for 2 weeks and then another week in the kezzer at 6°C.
When I pour a sample it is very cloudy - can't see through it. If I leave it to warm the cloudyness go away a little (can still not see through it clearly). I washed a glass out this morning that had a sample sit in it since 3pm yesterday and it was still cloudy but there was a layer of sediment on the bottom of the glass.

Do you guys think that this is an issue with chill haze (since it goes away a little when the beer warms up) or yeast still in suspension (was confused on this as S-04 is supposed to be super flocculating).
I have dropped the temp down to 2°C to see if I can get the yeast to drop quicker if that is the issue, maybe look at using gelitine (first time so any advice on that?).
Any other pointers would be awesome to have.

Cheers all :mug:

how many pours have you drawn? first few pints are usually full of yeast/sediment

could be a factor of chill haze which should go away, haze from hops and sediment

how many pours have you drawn? first few pints are usually full of yeast/sediment

could be a factor of chill haze which should go away, haze from hops and sediment

Roughl total of about 3 pints (using 200ml sample glasses). The thing is usually I only need less than a pint to get clear beer with the above schedule and I usually use US-05 which is less flocculating than S-04 (well supposed to be anyway).
Just remembered that I actually ahd about 0.5# of malted wheat in this, could that be contributing to the chill haze also?

S-04 floccs like a rock, I doubt that's the problem

Yeah that's what i thought but I saw a couple of threads where it wasn't floc'ing like usual. I am guessing it is chill haze and the wheat malt isn't helping either. Looks like geletine will be of no use and it is just a matter of getting it cold and leaving it alone :(

Did you let the beer clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty before kegging? that could be the problem.

Did you let the beer clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty before kegging? that could be the problem.

Beer was clear going into the keg.

After all this I think it was chill haze. I had to bottle a dozen or so off the keg and they have come back up to room temp and now are pretty clear :(
Good news is I tried one of the ones left in the fridge and had cleared a tiny bit :)

Latest posts

Back