Mosher's Port-like beer and Flor Sherry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there fellow brewers. I'm going to brew the "port-like beer" recipe from Randy Mosher's "Radical Brewing" this weekend, but I've run into an issue that doesn't seem to be addressed in the book. Here's the 2.5 gallon AG recipe:

6lb Pils
6lb Munich
1lb caramelized sugar

There is a step mash with long breaks around 130 and 162F to keep it sweet. Boil for an hour with an oz of Northern Brewer pellets, cool and pitch yeast. He suggests using liquid sherry yeast. After primary fermentation, you add some acid and vodka to bring the sherry "flor" to the surface.

The only liquid sherry yeast that I can find is White Labs WLP700 Flor Sherry Yeast. My concern is that in every product description that I've read, the yeast is "for use in secondary fermentation." Like I said, Mosher makes no mention of a different yeast for primary fermentation.

Does anybody have experience with this recipe or a similar one? Is it ok to use WLP700 for primary fermentation? Thanks a lot!

I bought a vial in the spring and ended up pitching it into a historical porter that I had aging in a secondary. I had considered brewing a beer with it as the primary yeast, but the more I researched it, it seemed you really need to have a 16-18% beer if you want the sherry flor to do its thing... and I didn't want that.

The sherry flor didn't do anything in the secondary, so after a few months I ended up dumping a bunch of sour bugs into the beer. Haven't tried the beer since then.

Here is the original thread, with some commentary from a guy who used it as the primary yeast.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/sherry-yeast-316888/

Ok, that makes sense based on what I've read. Thanks. In this recipe, you're shooting for about a 1.140 OG, so you're getting close to that range. But the important part is that after the primary fermentation, you are to add 2oz of acid and 34oz of 90 proof vodka, at which point the flor will start to show up and do its thing.

I guess the ultimate question here is whether the flor sherry yeast is suitable for primary fermentation, regardless of whether or not the flor is active. Based on the thread that you linked, it sounds like I can.

Back