Troegs Recipes (Primarily Scratch #229)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rypcord

Reaction score
Anyone in the PA area? I'm looking for recipes based off of some of Troegs beers, specifically and primarily their DIPA Scratch #229.

Its a 9.1% ABV, 85 IBU, DIPA.

The best I've found for basic start is:

Malts: Pilsner, Viena
Hops: Galena, Simcoe, Mosaic
Yeast: House Ale

The notes on Untappd:
Our latest Double IPA experiment gracefully boasts grapefruit rind, pineapple, and honeysuckle notes with a hint of earthy forest floor.

Anyone know any more info than that to base a recipe off of?

I haven't had the beer...but shot in the dark:

80% Pilsner
20% Vienna

Bitter to about 45-50 IBUs with Gelana (or sub witjh a similar hop)
10 min addition of mosaic to get about 20 IBU
10 min addition of simcoe to get about 20 IBU

Flame out addition of the same...whirlpool for 30 min or so.

Ferment with 001/1056 @ 65 degrees.

Dry hop with more simcoe/mosaic (i'd do at least 2 oz of each for a 5 gallon batch.

at 9.1% you are shooting for an OG around 1.079-1.080 and an FG of 1.010-1.011. I may try this myself. I just got a sack of pilsner and a lb each of simcoe/mosaic. I was just at troegs yesterday...the newest scratch session ipa is tasty.

Have you tried emailing them? I have heard that they are generally willing to provide some details to recipes, especially scratch batches.

Is this the scratch that is became Nimble Giant?

I believe so (not 100% sure) but I believe that's correct, with just Nimble Giant being altered. There was a DIPA scratch they had before this, that was similar, but maybe with different hops or something and Nimble Giant might be based off that one instead of this one.

Have you tried emailing them? I have heard that they are generally willing to provide some details to recipes, especially scratch batches.

I emailed them after seeing your post, no response yet.

Asked about this on another forum, and a member said that Troegs doesn't typically help out homebrewers. But I dunno, fingers crossed I guess.

this is nimble giant...only they've added azacca into the mix. funny i was googling a nimble giant clone and came across this thread (that i already replied to a few months ago). I'm planning a similar beer for this weekend....going a bit smaller and using amarillo instead of azacca.

75% pilsner
15% vienna
7% dextrose
3% light crystal

bitter to 45 ibus and boatloads of amarillo/mosaic/simcoe late/whirlpool/dry

split batch using 007 in one half and conan in the other.

shooting for 8% ABV and around 70 IBUs

Deabting to brew your recipe from casual Brewer in the next couple weeks. I just brewed a nugget nectar clone from these boards and it's extremely close. I'm giving it a few more days to "clear" in he fridge then going to do a side by side comparison.

I'm not a huge grapefruit fan that's why I hesitate on this one, but your review states more orange/pineapple and not so much grapefruit, exactly what I'd like.

Can you post what the AA of your hops were, if you have that in your notes?

Deabting to brew your recipe from casual Brewer in the next couple weeks. I just brewed a nugget nectar clone from these boards and it's extremely close. I'm giving it a few more days to "clear" in he fridge then going to do a side by side comparison.

I'm not a huge grapefruit fan that's why I hesitate on this one, but your review states more orange/pineapple and not so much grapefruit, exactly what I'd like.

Can you post what the AA of your hops were, if you have that in your notes?

Hey bolus14 - thanks for giving it a look. I just rebrewed this beer and changed a few things from the first version. I packaged it 2 days ago and initial samples were much more in line with the original Nimble Giant. I'll post an updated recipe to the blog in a few weeks once I can get it carbed and compare.

To your question, I have my Simcoe as 14.1%AA, Azacca at 12% and Mosaic @ 11.3%. Total IBU at 69.2

After some more looking around and tasting a few commercial beers that use these hops, I have found that I don't think I'm the biggest fan of any of them. I tried Founder's Mosaic Promise, wasn't impressed, really didn't get much of the fruitiness that most claim Mosaic has. Tried a local brewers Smash with Azacca and Founder's Azacca IPA and neither brought the citrusy/tropical flavors I was hoping for. I picked up more of a slight citrus with earthy notes, maybe this is the onion flavor that many note this hop has. As far as Simcoe goes, I have found I like it as a late addition, 5-10 min or as flameout/whirlpool, as this seems to give good flavors of mango and apricot to me.

I know that together and in a different recipe different flavors may come out, but I'm now debating using the malt bill but changing the hops up. Right now considering using El Dorado, Denali, and maybe Motueka. I realize this will be very fruity and nothing like Nimble Giant, but from many reviews I'm pretty sure that Nimble Giant wouldn't be for me anyway. The thing I like about the recipe for this and Nugget Nectar is the amount of Vienna seems to truly provide the malt backbone needed for these IPA's.

Troegs knows how to brew some killer beers, thats for sure. Definitely enjoy some of their key selectives (Troegenator, Perpetual, Nimble Giant, Mad/Naked/Wild Elf, Javahead). They just released a new one "Crimson Pistil" which is a hibiscus one. Interested in that, the photos of the beer looks amazing (such a bright red coloring to it.)

Wanted to follow up my take on this. Mine ended up having notes of strawberry/melon, maybe a touch of floral, and a slight touch of alcohol. In the end I liked how it turned out except I would have doubled the amount of whirlpool hops or dry hops.

Trying to figure out my brews for fall and winter and leaning more towards the Nugget Nectar clone I did before and possibly try a Mad Elf clone.

Maybe late winter or spring this will make it into the mix, and go with the original hop mix.

Love seeing Troegs love on here. Living 5 minutes from Troegs, it's cool to see people trying to clone some of their beers. I'm tempted/thinking of doing near-clones of Nugget Nectar, Nimble Giant, and Naked Elf in the future. (I prefer Naked Elf over Mad Elf.)

I made my second take on the El Dorado, Denali, Motueka beer, but adjusted the malt to be more Vienna than Pills and brought the ABV down to around 6%, depending on how fermentation goes. So, different beer than last time, and farther away from Nimble Giant, if it works great, if not I'll likely go back to the first grain bill and just up the whirlpool hops for the next go round.

Keep us posted on the results! Really looking forward to hearing about this. I like the idea of different takes on NGiant, and messing around with the hops. Would love to try that out.

Pulled a sample today, more or less just to see if it will be ready to bottle next weekend. Honestly, it could have been bottled today IMO, but as life goes she'll have to wait.
Right now the taste is pretty similar to the last time, but I picked up more of a pineapple taste. Still a little strawberry and citrus "blend" but the pineapple stands out while it's warm, 60 degrees, and not carbonated.
I'll update again after it's bottled and carbonated. As of right now this was a little bit of an experiment to see if the ABV level has some effect on hop aroma and flavor, so far I think it does.

Just wanted to give an update on how the lower ABV malt bill turned out.
Honestly I would classify it as a Pale more than any kind of IPA. It s pretty well balanced, might be a touch sweet for some, the El Dorado may be playing in to that a little bit. The hop aroma could be bumped up a little as well as the flavor. It's a pretty good brew as is and I could definitely knock more than a couple back on a nice spring day.

I would say the taste is mild tropical fruit, nothing really stands out, then slightly melony, maybe some strawberry but you'd have to be looking for it. There's a touch of floral in the finish, but I can't really put my finger on what, maybe vanilla.

Hey bolus14 - thanks for giving it a look. I just rebrewed this beer and changed a few things from the first version. I packaged it 2 days ago and initial samples were much more in line with the original Nimble Giant. I'll post an updated recipe to the blog in a few weeks once I can get it carbed and compare.

To your question, I have my Simcoe as 14.1%AA, Azacca at 12% and Mosaic @ 11.3%. Total IBU at 69.2
Looks like i cant reach the link you had to your recipe (in fact I left a comment or 2). I just went to look for this again thinking that i'd give this a whirl. If your site is no longer up would you mind putting your recipe in here? It looked VERY promising

If you're asking for my recipe that I used Denali and El Dorado in I wouldn't go with it. Not sure why but the hop flavor is very very muted. Little bit of aroma that is good, but the taste just doesn't follow it.

I'm honestly thinking it might be the yeast I used. Its on the 6th or 7th gen and really hasn't been treated as well as it should. I have been reusing it for beers that fall in the 6.5-7% ABV range, but have went from IPAs to Porter's or stouts back to pales or IPAs, etc. Just not the best practice for reusing yeast and I think it caught up to me. I'm thinking this might be the cause because some of the same yeast was used for a brown ale that Iver attenuated and even after 5 weeks in the fermenter at 60 degrees still has some floaties.

The first 5 generations didn't act like this so that's my thought, maybe I picked up another yeast strain and it got mixed in...
If yeast was the cause of the muted hop flavor and over attenuation then maybe this would be a good hop combo, I may try a small batch again sometime just to see.

Sorry - should have been a little clearer. Was asking DocScott - at one point he had a site (thecasualbrewer.com) where he had a nice attempt at a recipe that he reverse-engineered and it looked to be pretty close. I've always wanted to try this and now when I tried to reference this site again I see it's not up. Unfortunately I never took any notes from it thinking it'd be there for when I'm ready. So I'm hoping DocScott could maybe pass along his findings here .

Latest posts

Back