Dry Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude25

Reaction score
I am dry hopping 2 oz. of Pellet hops in secondary. I have a nice layer on the top and bottom of the beer of fine hop material. What is the best way to avoid siphoning this when i go to bottle?
Also..side question. Is it normal to get more airlock action once it has been in secondary for about 5 days? Would this mean oxidization?

Most of them will drop out, but if you want all of them out of the beer, the method that I use is, put a hop sack over the siphon hose going in to the bottling bucket, that will strain all of them out, and the bubbling in the secondary is coming from the dry hops,it will settle down in day or two, good luck.:mug:

I give the carboy a "bump" every so often to break the surface tension and let that hop particulate fall to the bottom when dry hopping with pellets.

I've gotten in the habit of cold crashing: I'll clear out a big enough space in my fridge to put the secondary in there....I find that all dry hops (even if in pellet form) will settle down to the trub. Everything stays pretty compact, so the beer gets good and clear. Waiting a week at cellar temps normally clears most hops.....but cold crashing pretty much is an insurance to get everything IMO.

Back