grand cru f.g.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul7

Reaction score
so i brewed a grand cru that i bought from midwest supplies, i added an extra 2lbs of DME to raise the alcohol content. however i only pitched 1 smack pack (wyeast witbier 3944)
o.g. was 1.084-primary for 2 weeks, then after 10 day in secondary the krausen dropped and activity has slowed substantially, i did a reading and the s.g. is at 1.020,

can i expect the gravity reading to drop any more over time?

i am assuming this is a high reading even with the extra added malt.

what should i expect with this brew?

any and all comments or suggestions are welcome

It's probably done. That's 76% attenuation. The yeast supposedly goes 72-75%.

Leave it another week or so on the yeast to see what it does. It will elp it even if the gravity doesn't move any more.

When you change/add to a recipe, it is best to understand what the result will be. 2 lbs of DME in 5 gallons will add 18 points to the OG, but since it is only 75% fermentable, it will also add 4.5 points to the FG. You might have been better off adding 1 lb DME and 1 lb of sugar.

It's probably done. That's 76% attenuation. The yeast supposedly goes 72-75%.

Leave it another week or so on the yeast to see what it does. It will elp it even if the gravity doesn't move any more.

When you change/add to a recipe, it is best to understand what the result will be. 2 lbs of DME in 5 gallons will add 18 points to the OG, but since it is only 75% fermentable, it will also add 4.5 points to the FG. You might have been better off adding 1 lb DME and 1 lb of sugar.

thanks for the advice, thats really helps to make sense of it all:mug:

For comparison, I brewed this according to the recipe in January and had an OG 1.072 and a FG of 1.013. I pitched a half gallon starter of the same yeast you used. I will be bottling first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Back