Middle Tennessee Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this group buy over at Northern Brewer and tastybrew.com. If you are in the Middle Tennessee area and you are on the fence then you better decide soon or you will miss out.

We have the bag of pale chocolate split by 5 days, we are now looking for 1 last person to complete the bag of crystal 60.

I'm down with adding a bag of American 2 row Pale to my current specialty splits of 1/5 bag Caramel Crystal 60L & 1/5 bag Chocolate.

I should ask though as I'm still a newbie... I'm assuming these aren't crushed. Can we have it crushed or where would I go to get this done?

I'm down with adding a bag of American 2 row Pale to my current specialty splits of 1/5 bag Caramel Crystal 60L & 1/5 bag Chocolate.

I should ask though as I'm still a newbie... I'm assuming these aren't crushed. Can we have it crushed or where would I go to get this done?

I am not sure I would have the who sack crushed, unless you see yourself using it in 3 months time. I would try to see if someone locally can help you out with this or look on e-bay for the cheap victoria grain mill. I would be willing to help out, but I am quite a drive for you.

It will work. It won't be the fastest, but it will be the chepaest! I would try to fashion some type of hopper to help yourself out. Are you sure you only want 1 bag of base malt? It will only last about 5-6 brew days.

Lol... you are going to cause me to go broke! Let me see what SWMBO has to say and I'll get back with you. :mug:

P.s. How often do group grain buys for this area go on?

Lol... you are going to cause me to go broke! Let me see what SWMBO has to say and I'll get back with you. :mug:

P.s. How often do group grain buys for this area go on?

If you aren't going broke then you are in the wrong hobby! This is the first group buy I have been involved with. As much effort as it has taken it may be the last for me to organize. I have spent the better part of 10 days working on this. I bet I have sent out 100 PM's on here, joined 3 new forums, sent out 50 or so e-mails, so I am not sure if and when the next one will happen.

The Antioch Sud Suckers do 2 a year, but I am not a member.:mug:

Bobby,

You can officially put me down for 1 bag of BD-MOPA and 1 bag of CM-PALE. Since I have yet to do a single AG I'm hoping this will give me a good base to start with. If not let me know. I guess its time to get a mill... along with finish putting together my rig.

You've sold me 1234...

1/5 bag Chocolate
1/5 bag Crystal 60L
1 bag American 2 Row Pale
1 bag Maris Otter

and I'm spent... :drunk:

edit: And thank you for your efforts in putting all this together.

Hey Bobby

let me know how close we are and I will see if I can scrape up some more $$$ without letting SWMBO know about it.

You've sold me 1234...

1/5 bag Chocolate
1/5 bag Crystal 60L
1 bag American 2 Row Pale
1 bag Maris Otter

and I'm spent... :drunk:

edit: And thank you for your efforts in putting all this together.

You will not be sorry. Do you know which Malting company that you want the 2 Row and the Marris Otter from. Right now I have you getting the Canadian Malting Company 2 Row and Bairds Marris Otter.

Hey Bobby

let me know how close we are and I will see if I can scrape up some more $$$ without letting SWMBO know about it.

It appears that we are sitting at 31 bags with a number of folks still to weigh-in. I just sent a PM to a gentleman here who is interested. If you want to do some Belgian beers I might suggest some Pilsen Malt.

You will not be sorry. Do you know which Malting company that you want the 2 Row and the Marris Otter from. Right now I have you getting the Canadian Malting Company 2 Row and Bairds Marris Otter.

I will rely on your recommendation.

I am now looking for 2 additional guys to go in on a 4 way split of some Wheat Malt. I would like to get a 4 way split on Vienna and a 5-6 way split on some CaraMunich 60. The CaraMunich is used in a lot of Belgian brews.

If you still need any more bags ordered, i could probably be in for a single bag of 2row. I probably won't be able to pick it up until April or so, if anyone has somewhere to store it... just drop me a PM if you still need someone. My sister lives in Mt. Juliet and I will be up there hopefully judging at NHC Regionals in April.

If you still need any more bags ordered, i could probably be in for a single bag of 2row. I probably won't be able to pick it up until April or so, if anyone has somewhere to store it... just drop me a PM if you still need someone. My sister lives in Mt. Juliet and I will be up there hopefully judging at NHC Regionals in April.

We still could use some folks in on the buy. We could still use a couple of brewers to fill in on the pallet. Let me know which Malter you want.

I still need to hear back from one guy, he brews a lot, so maybe he'll need some.

_

Right now we sit at 37 sacks. We have filled the Thomas Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt split. The Great Western Vienna malt split is filled as well. We need 1 person on the Crystal and the Caramel Munich. We need 2 or 3 additional folks to go in on the Wheat. I am waiting to hear from Cuttsjp and Argus79. I haven't added in nealf's bag either. Not sure what malter he wants. So if he gets a sack of 2 row that makes 38.

Does anybody work at a place with a loading dock and some storage space for a pallet of grain? I am sure that most of us can pick-up quickly, but we may have 1 or 2 who may need a couple of days. My brother works at a warehouse that doesn't have a loading dock or storage space, unless we want to carry a pallet of grain upstairs.

I am willing to host a group brew day after everybody picks-up the grain. I think it would be fun for some of us to get together and use some of the cheap grain. Anybody in? I am just north of Nashville.

Does anybody want to try to do a group buy on Barley Crushers? We could look to get a deal on a Barley Crusher by buying several of them.

Does anybody want to try to do a group buy on Barley Crushers? We could look to get a deal on a Barley Crusher by buying several of them.

If that's what I would need to crush the grain, I would be interested.

Back