Batch sparge with finer grain crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie884

Reaction score
If I plan to batch sparge, can I grind my grain finer than if I planned to fly-sparge? It seems that batch-sparging doesn't need a filter bed like fly-sparging; thus, the husks are not needed to stay intact, correct? Is there any other reason to keep the husks intact other than providing a good filter bed?

If I plan to batch sparge, can I grind my grain finer than if I planned to fly-sparge? It seems that batch-sparging doesn't need a filter bed like fly-sparging; thus, the husks are not needed to stay intact, correct? Is there any other reason to keep the husks intact other than providing a good filter bed?

So they don't end up in the wort?

I batch sparge, and even with vorlaufing, a fine crush sometimes works it way through the grainbed. The other problem with a too-fine crush could be a stuck sparge.

You could, but you can get a plenty fine crush without completely pulverizing the husks. Rice hulls are only needed when a large portion of the grist is hulkless like flaked grains and wheat.

You could, but you can get a plenty fine crush without completely pulverizing the husks. Rice hulls are only needed when a large portion of the grist is hulkless like flaked grains and wheat.

I asked AHS to grain my order finer because I batch sparge and they gave me a great crush with the husks still intact. I did use .5 lbs of rice hulls since I was adding 3 lbs of pumpkin, but it wasn't necessary. The wort flowed fine through the bed and stainless mesh.

Bobby_M is right on, you can get a pretty fine crush and keep the husks intact. I did vorlauf about 4 quarts simply because it was easy and the wort was running very clear after that.

Back