Is PSI During Bottle Conditioning Non-linear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Without any (significant) temperature change, does PSI peak at some point before dissolving into solution, i.e. non-linear. Or, is PSI at it's max before cold conditioning, i.e. linear?

I'm just curios, if you're carbing at a high volume of CO2, do you "pass" a high risk bottle bomb phase at some point during carb conditioning? If PSI pressure is non-linear as a function of time, then if you crate them up in tupperware, they either explode, or they don't and you're safe. If its linear on the other hand, then if they don't explode on thier own, the highest risk time is when your agitating them while you're moving to the fridge.

No, it's not linear. Generally speaking, your beer will produce gas faster than it can dissolve it back in. In other words, you'll hit a peak PSI significantly above equilibrium at some point before priming is finished.

That peak pressure isn't necessarily the point of highest risk for bottle bombs, though. If you measure properly and mix your priming solution well, the more likely cause of a bottle bomb is infection. In that case, the pressure will built gradually over time.

Thanks for the reply. The reason I posted the question wasn't out of a general concern for bottle bombs. Rather, I'm curios if I push towards the upper limits of the volumes of CO2 that my bottles can handle, can I prepare for the possibility of bombs and feel safe picking them up after 3 weeks knowing I've passed a threshold.

I'd give it extra time, as that extra pressure and dissolved CO2 will stress the yeast a bit so it may take more than 20% longer to carb 3 volumes vs 2.5. Also, any time I'm bottling at a higher volume, I like to keep the case of bottles in a plastic garbage bag in case of any weak bottles. I've never had one go at 3 volumes, but you never know. Higher than that and I'd want to use Belgian bottles, or at the very least those nice thick glass stubbies like Green Flash uses.

Back