Degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkiknight

Reaction score
So when I transferred to secondary, much to my surprise it looked like fermentation picked back up again(up from 1 a min or two to 5 a min). After some searching I chalked this up to degassing. I didn't notice anymore sediment collecting at the bottom than was there after a few days, and I see little CO2 bubbles all over the side and top.

It's been like this for two weeks. I tried to get a gravity reading, but I can't find anything small enough to get into the carboy that can keep a good seal.

So, my question is that should I wait for the beer to become pretty flat to bottle, or would that make carbonation in the bottle too low? Any other advice or suggestions would be welcome as well.

Maybe use some 3/8 or 1/2 tubing to draw enough for a sample (this is why I use a refractometer). You are fine to bottle IF the fermentation is complete.

What is the temp for secondary? Is this an ale?

It's a belgian blonde. I don't have any temp regulation but it's probably at around 72 or so.

Also, will the degassing it has already done significantly affect carbonation in bottles?

Are you checking this at a time of day when the temps could be rising?
Just heating up your fermenter by a couple of degrees will cause more bubbles to come out.

I also agree with helibrewer's suggestion of the tubing to get a sample. I use small 1/4 tubing to get a few drops out for my refractometer. If you use a hydrometer though, you might want to lean towards a larger diameter tubing and just dip it a few times to fill your sample tube.

Back